med mooring using the anchor

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

cuthbert

med mooring using the anchor

Post by cuthbert »

Anyone here able to give some specific advice on C350 anchoring? In my youth I would anchor a lot, but in my time with the C350 I can count on both hands (almost one) the number of times I have anchored in the past 15 years. I have some questions as I need this maneuver in the near future.
If you have done med mooring using an anchor in the 350 do you have any specific tips?

1) Although it hasn't been an issue ever thus far do any owners use the fenderflex type of product to prevent the anchor and bow meeting?
3) With a two person crew (me and the admiral) we are adept at picking up mooring balls, but for this is it best to have the strongest (skills wise or physical if something goes awry) person on the helm? Or does the anchoring part have the greatest need?
4) Communication via hand signals or use a handheld at the bow and talk it through via radio?

Here is my proposed sequence
1) Have fenders ready and lines tied on rear cleats ready to throw.
2) Start lowering anchor while gently backing up approx 4 boat lengths out.
3) Stop paying out the chain at approx 100ft
4) Throw lines to dock for tying up.

I have watched a few videos, it is straightforward, but then everything is until it goes wrong.

Please post or email me any advice.

JC

p.s. yes, I will do a dry run somewhere quiet in advance
Triumph

Re: med mooring using the anchor

Post by Triumph »

I do not know where you are med mooring but places I do this (Med and Caribbean) now a days there are pickup or tags lines to bow mooring lines attached to the bottom. Make sure that this is not the case before you drop an anchor! This set up makes it easier and safer for everyone.

What you are thinking sounds good as far as backing up to the dock and all. I'd put a large fender sideways across the stern to keep the boat from touching the dock. I'd have my side fenders attached, but on deck ready to kick over. Usually, the boats you are going in-between have fenders out and your fenders if out could catch and entangle their fenders, So use their fenders until you are in place and stopped. (or where your fender would be past their fenders.)

You ask who should drive and who should be on the bow when picking up a mooring ball. I personally find it best to have the most agile and strongest person at the bow, and the less athletic person on the helm. It quite often takes coordination, strength, and agility to wrangle a pendant, bow lines, and a boat hook all at once.

Either the head phones or hand signals can work with the communication from helm to bow. We use hand signals and we keep it simple. Head phones do allow greater detail and eliminate the requirement for the necessity of seeing the hands and arms of the bowman.

Bill Cullen, TRIUMPH
www.thebookofsail.com