M35B Engine Overhaul?

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Bob_A

M35B Engine Overhaul?

Post by Bob_A »

I'd really appreciate your opinions and experiences with whether or not to overhaul our M35B.
We are approaching 2000 engine hrs. Its somewhat a product of living, boating in the Pacific Northwest.
Winds are often unsuitable for getting where you're wanting to be so motoring and motor sailing happen regularly.
There is nothing wrong with the engine operation. It runs beautifully, starts instantly, never smokes.
It is, and from what I can see, always been very well and very regularly maintained. Certainly I am at it all the time.
I am certain the injectors have never been done.
One would wonder why I am considering this given how well it runs but is it viable from a preventative maintenance approach?
We may look to move up in boats a couple of years from now and the optics on 2000 hrs may not be favourable on an otherwise immaculate, well
appointed C350.
Thank you in advance for your input / expertise on this.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
wolfe10

Re: M35B Engine Overhaul?

Post by wolfe10 »

If properly maintained, you are around 1/4 of the way through the engine's life.

No symptoms, just do routine maintenance. Valve adjustment is often overlooked-- DO IT.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

Thank you Brett ... as always, great advice.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
NormSail350

Post by NormSail350 »

Bob,

I am in the same boat (almost literally). I agree with Wolfe10, these diesel engines can and do live forever. Just do the maintenance and keep it from rusting away. Keep it clean, cooled, feed it clean diesel and keep it well lubricated, and of course drive her with respect she will keep tick, tick, ticking along. Run the engine regularly don't let it sit. Agree on keeping valave lash correct is important
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)