Bottom Paint

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Bob_A

Bottom Paint

Post by Bob_A »

I have searched all the posts on this topic but don't see much. I was hoping to start a discussion on this topic as to what you have found to work well for you both in bottom paint materials and application methods.
Our boat (prior to us owning) has fallen victim to poor application processes and yard rip offs where prep is not done properly and 2 coats are applied year after year.
Now about 4K worth of product (years worth) is starting to come off in large patches right down the to hull barrier coat. I do realize this is not uncommon and every 10 years or so most boats need to take it all off right down to nothing and start again.
Appreciate hearing what is working for you. I have heard many great things about Jotun.
Interlux Micron C&C is good of course but really only as good as prep as its adhesive qualities poor if this is not done well.
Thanks in advance.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
wolfe10

Re: Bottom Paint

Post by wolfe10 »

Bob,

Strongly suggest you check with local yards/dealers.

Best bottom point for the Pacific NW is likely to be different than in Florida or for boats in fresh water.

Said another way, I don't believe there is one best paint for all conditions.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Bob_A

Re: Bottom Paint

Post by Bob_A »

Agreed, thanks Brett.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC