Salon fixed window shattered

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

Salon fixed window shattered

Post by elk »

I discovered port side jib track car had impacted the aft plexiglass window enough to shatter it, actually went through it. These are the large fixed windows in the main cabin, one forward and one afte on each side.

I looked at Catalina Direct and didn’t find any. Anyone have a clue or do I need to have one fabricated, or maybe go direct to Catalina and ask them?

Thanks for any info.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
Lagniappe

Re: Salon fixed window shattered

Post by Lagniappe »

Same thing happened to me. I brought the cracked one to Pirate City Plastics in Tampa FL and got an exact replacement. But, probably a shop that handles plexiglass will work. For the installation, I downloaded the Catalina instructions from an earlier post on this site. Dow Corning Dowsiil 795 is the sealant to use. The job is tricky and took me 3 tries to finally get it. A few things I learned. I made some 2x4 braces to push off the lifelines to hold the plexiglass in place while it cured. It takes about a whole tube of caulk to completely fill the cavity. Butter it on super thick with a putty knife, more is better. Make sure to use masking tape on the outside and inside near the window. Trial fit everything before caulking. After the plexiglass is caulked in place and while the caulk is still wet, remove the excess. Do not remove the tape until you have the excess removed outside and inside. Do not wait for the caulk to cure before removing the excess - do this while it is still wet.
Lagniappe, Hull #385