Are boats covered in Washington state?

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

sgoldman

Are boats covered in Washington state?

Post by sgoldman »

Hi, I currently live in the Chicago area and am trying to decide whether to invest in a canvas cover as we will be moving the boat to the Seattle area. As I understand it, most owners leave their boats in the water over the winter? If so are they typically covered or left out in the open as it doesn't snow (very often).

Are there any C350 owners that could advise me on this question?

Steve Goldman
Peen Honin
2008 C350
Hull 485
Waukegan, Il.
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.
leigh weiss

Re: Are boats covered in Washington state?

Post by leigh weiss »

I tried a non cover and cover option and liked the cover far better than leaving the boat unprotected.
The boat spends winter in southern New Jersey. Not only does the cover protect the boat from the sun, rain, snow, and ice it also keeps the bird droppings from staining the deck and hatches. a big plus.
Takes about 2 hours to set up and about one hour to put away with one helper. The installed cover might direct runoff water onto the deck catwalk near the port stern depending on the design of the cover.. If the fuel fill "O" ring is not fully sealed you might get water in the fuel tank. Just keep an eye for that problem and change all of the fill "O" rings as a maintenance item every few years.
Let us know what you do and be safe.

Leigh
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,

I keep my boat at Semiahmoo Marina at Blaine about 120 miles north of Seattle and right on the Canadian border. A lot of Seattleites keep their boats up here - Annacortes, Bellingham and Blaine and many use them as weekenders. Almost none cover them. Some like I use them all year when I am in town - cold clear winter days (40 to 50F) and we go out for a few hours - well rugged up. Any excuse etc etc. If unattended all winter - most are - and not subject to a dose of boat soap every month or so, then one needs to pressure wash them in the spring (April). Some take the sails off - I don't - but am cautious when we have the big winter storms from the south east and north west. Some employ "boat watchers" to check them weekly, start the engine for 20 minutes etc. It snows perhaps once a year but no one pays attention to clearing it off etc. Bigger problem are the birds - a big eagle broke my mast head wind vane earlier this year and the "river Otters" setting up nests under your cockpit coverings if in place - nasty critters!

By the way, marina rates are much cheaper the further north you go. I own my slip (HOA) and am not sure but think it is in the vicinity of $4.50 a foot a month for 40's. Slips under 40" are available but fill up at this time of the year. Larger slips are in big demand and have gone nuts in value in the past year - mine has quadrupled to about $60k but that will not last as the rent v. buy option now heavily favours renting right now.

For your info, there are 2 or 3 other C350s in the Pacific north west and like all boats here, they sell at a substantial - perhaps 10% premium - compared to California and the east coast so it is worthwhile to move it. Dealers seem to bring boats here from all over, especially from the mid west. You also should be aware, if not already, that we get a lot of marine growth on hulls here and they need a lift out and pressure wash every year and anti-fouling paint every second year. Plus plan on a full cutback and refinishing every 10-12 years or so - critical to prevent blistering.

Otherwise it is a near perfect sailing area - where else on the planet can you sail under snow capped volcanoes on a hot summer day and anchor in the (San Juan and Canadian) islands overnight?

Let me know if I can help further,

Geoff. S. C350, # 392, Taeko 1V.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
sgoldman

Post by sgoldman »

Thanks Geoff.

Do you have any recommendations on bottom paint for the brackish water?

I plan to keep it in Everett and casual racing. The marine company here is recommending Micron CSC. It will be in Lake Michigan for another year or two.

Steve
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

HI again, its been awhile,

I used CSC Micron since new until about 3 years ago when I changed to a "Chinese" brand based on the recommendation of the big boatyard in Bellingham. The original layers even then were starting to flake and that yard supposedly smoothed it all out. Turns out that was a mistake. A few blisters started to appear a couple of years back (near the galley discharge through hull) and along with a slight grounding scar on the bottom of the wing keel, it was time for a complete redo. There was 6 or 7 coats of paint on the bottom so I had it sand blasted back to the gelcoat. The very experienced guy at the boatyard - a real gem - in Blaine told me he could find no evidence that there was ever a binder coat before the original two coats of CSC Micron went on during commissioning back in 2006. So now the few blisters were fixed properly, 2 costs of binder and 2 coats of the "house recommendation" which it turns out is West Marine CPP. I checked around the water line yesterday and it is quite clean after the past winter - normally it has some growths and a bit if debri attached to that. I dont plan to have it lifted until the fall (for a pressure wash and new zinc) so cant assess the 1 year result yet. Notably, my marina slip here gets a lot of tidal flow both ways and hence is relatively clean water and not somewhat stagnant like other marinas in the area - perhaps this will be a factor where ever you finish up: Everett where I was for years is mostly in the latter category. I dont recall exactly as to my time there in the late 1980s and early 1990s, what paint was on the boat. The Yard there has changed hands I believe.

Let me know if I can be of further help, and perhaps if you get up to the San Juans this summer let me know. I am nearby.

Geoff. S. Taeko 1V C350-#392 Semiahmoo WA
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
sgoldman

Post by sgoldman »

Hi, I finally had the boat soda blasted, but I am doing the next steps myself (I may be crazy).

I am not planning on applying a barrier coat instead I am going to:

1) Sand
2) apply 2 coats of Interprotect 2000e Primer
3) apply 3 coats of Micron CSC

Anyone have any experience painting the bottom after a soda blasting?
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.