Alarm buzzer mystery

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

hperros

Alarm buzzer mystery

Post by hperros »

The boat was hit by a lightning, and it took out the low pressure/high temperature alarm buzzer and the circuit breaker attached to the glow plugs solenoid. I don’t know if anything else got fried, but the engine seems to be working fine. I replaced the alarm buzzer, the key switch, the glow plug solenoid, and the circuit switch attached to the solenoid using the same westerbeke parts. In the first position of the key switch the buzzer makes the normal beep beep sound, but in the glow plug position it does not make any sound. In the glow plug position I can hear the solenoid click and the fuel pump clicking. Any ideas before I call the $100/hr cavalry?
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
ElizabethG

Re: Alarm buzzer mystery

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Harry,

If I recall correctly, when I first turn my key on, I get the constant beep-beep. If I move my key further over to the glow plug position, I don't have any sound. I'm heading back to the boat this w/e, so I can verify that if you wish...

Since my boat is in South Carolina, I seldom, if ever, use the glow plug position.

Bill
Atlanta, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

ElizabethG wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:48 pm Since my boat is in South Carolina, I seldom, if ever, use the glow plug position.

Bill
Atlanta, GA
Bill,

I would recommend using the glow plugs even in your climate. 90 degrees F may be warm for us humans, but compared with engine operating temperature of close to twice that, it is still pretty cold.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

Sounds like normal behavior
hperros

Post by hperros »

Before the lightning strike, in the glow plug position, it made the same beep beep sound but much faster.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

My buzzer stops when I engage the glow plug.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
hperros

Post by hperros »

I am amazed that this is normal behavior!!! I wonder if they redesigned the buzzer. Thank you all for your quick responses.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

ElizabethG wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:48 pm Hi Harry,

If I recall correctly, when I first turn my key on, I get the constant beep-beep. If I move my key further over to the glow plug position, I don't have any sound. I'm heading back to the boat this w/e, so I can verify that if you wish...

Since my boat is in South Carolina, I seldom, if ever, use the glow plug position.

Bill
Atlanta, GA
Same on my boat. I really don't want to hear that beep while I"m waiting for the glow plugs to heat up anyway.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
hperros

Post by hperros »

I have to admit that I liked that fast pulsating sound. It was a good feedback that it was working. Anyway I am happy that I don’t have to do any more work on this.

An interesting data point that I would like to share with the members is that when the circuit switch is disconnected, that is, no current to the buzzer and to the fuel pump, in the glow plug position, the buzzer continuous to sound as in the on position.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
eatkins23

Post by eatkins23 »

I'm a new Cat350 owner looking for some guidance. I just encountered a similar problem, Engine alarm continues to Buzz after starting engine, while the key is "ON" in the 2 o'clock position and will not shut off. Buzzer stops when, I turn the key to "OFF" at 12 o'Clock position, (all engine meters turn off but engine continues to run.) When, I switch key back to "ON", alarm buzzer continues, engine meters are on again but Buzzer alarm keep sounding.
I appreciate any suggestion to solve this issue.
Thank you,
eatkins23
"Grand Marnier II"
C-350-#10
Stamford CT
bobdelia

Post by bobdelia »

I have had a similar problem on my 2003 #020. Concerned that there might be an oil pressure issue, I added an oil pressure gage to be sure. Surprised Catalina didn't install it from the factory. Have you tried calling Warren Pandy?
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

Check your oil pressure cut-off switch. Should be on the bottom left side of the engine about midway back. There are two blade connectors- one is in a circuit with the buzzer, the other to the fuel lift pump. The idea is if oil pressure drops the circuits open giving the buzzer and the engine shuts down. I had the bade for the buzzer rust and break off which opened the circuit and made the buzzer run as it thought there was no oil pressure. I replaced the switch (Catalina Direct) which fixed the issue. It is a bit difficult to get out (but what isn't on a sailboat).
3.JPG
3.JPG (21.86 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
image_2021-10-11_111604.png
image_2021-10-11_111604.png (140.29 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
sgoldman

Re: Alarm buzzer mystery->Glow Plug Position

Post by sgoldman »

Hi I am new(ish) to my 2008 C350. I am not familiar with the glow plug position on the switch? Which way is that?
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

If you're standing at the helm facing forward, turn the key aftward (toward you) as far as it will go. That is the glow position for the key. There should be no buzzers at this stage. When you release the key a spring will take the it out of the glow position and into the ON position. The low oil/high temp alarm should sound.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
modesid

Post by modesid »

Mark Sutherland wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:18 am
ElizabethG wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:48 pm Hi Harry,

Bill
Atlanta, GA
Same on my boat. I really don't want to hear that beep while I"m waiting for the glow plugs to heat up anyway.