Shore Power Alternating Current Main Panel

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jreinhold

Shore Power Alternating Current Main Panel

Post by jreinhold »

Hello all,

Still getting used to my 350, hull number 332. I was looking at the shore power AC panel today. My last boat, a Beneteau 343, also had two shore power outlets, but each outlet had a dedicated panel with a set of circuits on them. Shore power 1 was water heater, battery charger and AC outlets, shore power 2 was the air conditioning. I see on this boat, the two shore power outlets lead to only one panel with all of those circuits. So I guess my question is, do both always have to plugged in? If you're not using the AC, can you only plug in one? If you overload one, will the main breaker trip? Is it just a function of understand what the boat can handle and act accordingly? I know, I know, that's alot of questions. But any help you all can provide would be appreciated as always.

Thanks!
Jim Reinhold
Tranquility, #332
Byram, NJ
TEM58

Re: Shore Power Alternating Current Main Panel

Post by TEM58 »

Do you actually have two shore power connections? I have two connector housings on the stern, but only one housing has a plug in it. The other is empty— much to my surprise!
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Boat currently Punta Gorda, FL
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

In my boat, the two input shore power cables go to the one AC panel but are separated. The Air conditioner/heater is dedicated to one of the power cable inputs and the rest of the AC loads are fed from the other shore power cable. You have a wiring diagram of this in the owners manual. If you are not using the air conditioner/heat you need not connect both shore power cables just the one which powers the battery charger, outlets, water heater, .....
If you are trying to use a generator to power the entire boat, then a Shore Power/Generator switch should be installed, allowing the single generator source to feed all of the boat loads.
There is a diagram of this in the owners manual.
Blue Sea makes the switch and the wiring diagram is in the owners manual.
I added an internal generator (NextGen 3.5 Kw.) and used the diagram as a guide.
I hope this helps.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
jreinhold

Post by jreinhold »

Just wanted to follow up on what I found out based on the information you guys provided. While I have not had the time to confirm it by plugging in, it appears that the second outlet does in fact go only to the Air Conditioner. The wiring diagram supports this and, although it is a bit hard to see, it looks like the backside of the panel is wired that way.

As always, thanks for the collective wisdom.

Jim and Lisa Reinhold
Tranquility #332
Byram, NJ
scott.monroe

Post by scott.monroe »

Hi Jim,

You are 100% correct. Second plug is Air Cond. only and is the outermost plug. I have the same. If you haven't laid eyes on them yet, the main breakers for the plugs are conveniently located in the port side lazarette just under the hatch (standards dictate that they have to be w/in 10' of the plugs).

Enjoy the boat!
Scott
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI