Bahamas Winter 2021

A way to solicit members in your area for various events.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fiftybucks

Bahamas Winter 2021

Post by Fiftybucks »

We are planning a trip to the Bahamas and would like to see if others might be cruising there next winter. We have no particular destination in mind but would like any suggestions as to marinas, anchorages routing etc from other cat350 owners and share their experiences.
Cheers Hull #380
Zephyr307

Re: Bahamas Winter 2021

Post by Zephyr307 »

We were in the Bahamas this past January-March and are planning to return this winter. Please keep us informed. It would be great to travel with or at least be in contact with other 350 owners.

One thing we learned was that some people prefer the March-July period. The trades have set in by then and there are fewer “northers” to contend with. We are not sure of our schedule yet. If we don’t make it to the Bahamas we will probably go to the Keys. I’d like to visit the Dry Tortugas.

Dave Strachan
S/V Zephyr
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

Wife has announced retirement for year end. We figure 3-4 days getting situated the 4 days to Miami area planned crossing to Bimini 2nd week of January. Then wide open to head towards Abacos and south. Hit Exuma on way back up
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

If for some unforeseen COVID closure the Dry Tortugas are the option for us also
Cheers Hull #380
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

We keep a 350 in Cape Coral, originally intending to go to the Bahamas but we got sidetracked by buying a house. Not sure about the Bahamas but I'd love to go to the Dry Tortugas sometime this winter.
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

jbd3 - got your message on Dry Tortugas
out to Titusville on boat projects this week..
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

so far we are moving forward with Bahamas second week of January 2022
sending in the dog permit request
vet health certificate apt Jan 7

PCR requirements are unclear as to if you have vaccination card w booster if PCR is required
not published but in phone conversation with port official special considerations for sailboats on the 5 day requirement
as cruisers are stuck waiting for weather to cross gulf stream. This is the key... do you have a gps track that indicates
you did not stop anywhere else after the PCR test..... they ask but don't board and check your track

if we end up having to be quarantined on the boat for 5 days and we made it across, then we are happy.

while most people to cross say start from further south, ie no-name in Biscayne, we have been looking at
straight out from Port Canaveral, pushed 20nm during GS crossing to north then hang a right down to Egg Island
and Spanish Wells. saves 8 days of ICW bridges, and 200 miles Requires overnight crew training and watches.
Anyone done this... I know the Salty Dawgs cross and go south.
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

well, going out from Port Canaveral isn't going to happen
looks like ICW south to Miami.
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

I received Bahamas pet permit for our beloved Luna. She has a vet health inspection Jan 7th in Titusville. I gave our marina notice of departure approximately Jan 8th. I input info for Bahamas Health Visa, but could not input prospective dates of travel (perhaps not needed) I printed out docs for Customs check-in but will wait to fill out.
Although most sites say PCR test in required, we see that if double shots we might be OK. Worse case is if we are quarantined in Alice Town for 5 days and PCR there.
New propeller installed.
Plan is to ICW south to at least Lake Worth, If Spectacular window then across to West End. Watch for weather windows, if bad then continue south to Ft Lauderdale and Miami. I noticed that the Gulf Stream is somewhat lessened to 2kts across to Freeport, which would be welcomed.

We would love to go into Alice Town Bimini then south to Gun Cay and across to Chub at the Marina. Our objective would be Exumas and south.
We would love to have company whether experienced or not. We will be taking our time waiting for good windows, and seeking marinas or mooring every few days, to pick up ice, fuel, walks, dining, provisions.
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

we are pretty well set with the documents and customs paperwork. health visas can't be completed until you are within 5 days. of arrival.
with omicron new restrictions may be implemented, but the worse that can happen is a Bahamas PCR and 5 day quarantine.

if anyone would like info on the Bahamas process, PM me...
Cheers Hull #380