Icom helm mic

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

Icom helm mic

Post by elk »

At the end of last season the helm mic died for the 2nd time in 9 years. Since it was the same model as the original, it is now discontinued.

In order to replace it I had to buy a new radio since there was no mic that would work with the old radio, I believe an Icom 422. So I have a new 424g, g for GPS, and a new helm mic. The radio will be installed in the original position over the breaker panel, after some mods since its slightly bigger.

That was the lead in: now my problem. When I investigated the routing of the cable that goes from the back of the radio to the helm, I quickly lost it as it dove down towards the cabin sole in a bundle of other wires and cables. So what I need is to know where I should be looking for this cable next? Does it go under the floor or up over into the ceiling, since it has to make its way up into the binnacle?

If anyone can give me a clue, I would greatly appreciate it. Even knowing where it goes, it will still be a chore to run the new cable up into the binnacle, I'm sure.

Thank you for any routing clues you can give me.

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
Tangled Sheets

Re: Icom helm mic

Post by Tangled Sheets »

Hi Ed,

Assuming your setup is similar to mine (2005) the cable runs from the back of the VHF mounted in the nav. station and runs along the port side up high under the deck, behind the valence of the headliner. All the wires from the nav station that run to up into the helm run this route. The route is from the nav station aft, running to behind the teak trim up on top of the cabinet in the aft cabin, and then runs in a big bundle under the valence of the headliner and then penetrates the aft bulkhead in between the aft cabin and the aft lazarette hatches and rudder post area. The wires are zip tied and screwed to the backside of that aft bulkhead and then run into that big pod looking thing on the roof of the aft cabin above the mattress. The helm station is directly above this. You will need to drop that pod thing to see where all the wires and cables run from that aft area into the cabin roof top and then through 2 separate small holes up into the helm station. It's a tight fit on mine, as there are lots of cables and wires running up into the helm and the holes are kind of small. I used liquid dish soap to help in pulling the new wire through there. Use the old wire to help pull the new wire.

Hopefully this helps a bit. I can take pictures next time I'm at the boat.

Jeremy Haydock
Tangled sheets
2005 Catalina 350, Hull # 288
elk

Post by elk »

That is the clue I was looking for. Now I can investigate further without tearing more of my hair out. 8*)

Thanks for your help,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

I read a few posts regarding the issue of remote mic failing on Standard Horizion original equipment (CMP23 ? mic). Seems a full VHF replacement is called for...??? So- wiring route seems an expected pain, doable but difficult. How about the antenna: are connections standard with older vs new radios ? Any other advice welcome. - Thanks- John, Makana Kai
elk

Post by elk »

Correct, full vhf replacement since you won't find a mic for the radio. Antenna connections are pretty much standard for vhf radios.
What I found is that the wiring extension which was needed for the original helm mic, was already there. There is a 30 ft.(?) extension cable needed to hook up the helm mic to the radio. I found it all coiled and zip tied to the bulkhead in the aft port locker at the swim platform. Made it easy to run the new helm mike down the binnacle into the aft cabin and out to the aft locker, then attach it to the existing cable extension.
The radio to get is the ICOM 424G($399) which has GPS. The helm mic is another $200 accessory.

Good luck.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Defender has the ICOM 424G on for $299.00 but they don't have stock at the moment. They will put it order for you. They have the helm MIC at $199.00.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA