Request for advice on FL Deep Water marinas-Gulf Coast

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

johnthejetpilot

Request for advice on FL Deep Water marinas-Gulf Coast

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Hello all. So grateful for the insights of all on this forum! Can anyone recommend some nice deep water marinas (>6'MLW) for west coast of Florida. Wife and I are considering the snowbirding lifestyle and moving for much of the year to Florida. Cities we are focused on are Ft. Myers, Sarasota, and Tampa areas. I do not have a lot of experience sailing in this area, but others seem to rave about the beautiful anchorages and nice weather.. We are mid-50s so nightlife is not nearly as important as nice safe marina and decent ameneties (pool, clean bathrooms, close restaurants, walking/biking paths and nearby beaches). Likely we may go with a small condo near the Marina that we can hopefully reach the Gulf from easily and relatively quickly (less than 1:10 motoring at 5.5kts). Obviously I'm only considering Marinas that carry a minimum of 6' at MLW and preferably floating docks. Lastly, eventually we may consider a move to a Catalina 470 with a 5'11", so would prefer a Marina that can accomodate this also.
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
wolfe10

Re: Request for advice on FL Deep Water marinas-Gulf Coast

Post by wolfe10 »

In Ft Myers:https://cityftmyers.com/yachtbasin

Nice area to cruise and reasonable shopping-- example Publix grocery less than 1/2 mile away and on free trolley route.

Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and Harvey Firestone all had their winter homes within a mile of the marina.

But, there are lots of other great areas on the SW coast of Florida.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

We followed a similar path. We bought our second 350 and lived aboard at Gulf Harbour Marina in Ft. Myers for some months before finding a house that we could dock up at across the river in Cape Coral. My observations were that the amenities at that particular marina required a very pricey club membership to be able to participate so we never got to use the pool or restaurant that was right there. Be aware of bridge height as well as the 350 is about as tall a mast (52') as I'd want to take under a 55' fixed bridge allowing for wakes. I've grounded once right in a marked channel and I'm sure it was the first of many such opportunities that lie ahead. When not out and about, the 350 makes a stellar addition to the house adding 2 bedrooms, a patio, and a back-up galley all with no marina fees.
RustyB

Post by RustyB »

Hi John,
The west coast of FL is truly a beautiful cruising area that you will absolutely enjoy. We come down every year from the Panhandle. We love the Tampa/StPete area. Lots of great sailing on Tampa Bay with easy access to the Gulf and short easy access back “inside” to some great anchorages and to the ICW - Longboat Pass, Venice, Boca Grande. We spent a lot of time at St Pete Municipal Marina - really nice, well protected marina with great access to downtown St Pete. Some good friends (Who live in KC) kept their boat in Bradenton area -several really nice marinas on the Manatee River. The Port Charlotte area is very nice as well with several marinas you might look at. My guess is you’re gonna be like a kid in a candy store...SO many choices!
Rusty
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Like Rusty, we also kept our boat at the St Pete Municipal Marina 22 years ago when we lived in St Pete.

A great marina and downtown St Pete is a lot of fun.

ON EDIT: Following Triumph's post below, I removed the issue of finding a nearby grocery store-- a new Publix has been built since we lived there. His caution that the St Pete Municipal Marina is likely full is an excellent point.

So, it really depends on what exactly your needs are. A vehicle completely changes priorities when looking for a marina.

And, as everyone has said, anywhere south of Tarpon Springs has great/easy access to both bay and Gulf sailing. You can day sail all the way from Tarpon Springs to the Keys (yes, with an overnight around Little Shark River).
Last edited by wolfe10 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
johnthejetpilot

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Thank you all so very much. Your input and thoughts are very helpful.

Thx again!

This can’t come soon enough...it was -25F here today in IL w/windchill.
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
zman18

Post by zman18 »

Another area you may consider is Clearwater. There is a city marina about 20 mins off the gulf which is also near to multiple options for condos or homes .
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I've been reading some of the replies you have received. You should be aware that many marinas are full, and have waiting lists. That would include the Clearwater and St Pete Marinas. Plan way ahead, get on the waiting lists of several perhaps. Public is now located in the shopping center not far from the marina in St Pete. You can Google that. I would agree that St Pete is a really neat place to hang your skippers hat. It would be my first choice.

I think the best sailing options include a bay with easy access, smooth waters, and many places to visit. Tampa Bay is great, Charlotte harbor is fine, Escambia and and Panama City bays are also quiet nice. Sarasota Bay may be an issue for your "air draft" once you get the C470. It is really nice to be able to sail in the bay when the Gulf is unsettled. And not dealing with currents and passes just to go for a day sail is a plus to these areas with bays. On the other hand, if all you do is head out on sailing trips for extended periods of time then this is not such an issue. As Rusty said, lots and lots of choices from Naples to Pensacola.

When dealing with marinas, ask about their program for when you do take off for several months. Will you have a slip when you return? etc.