Ladder Latch Coating

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Ladder Latch Coating

Post by TBOT422 »

The rubber coating on our ladder latches has been deteriorating for some time, and I have wrestled with how to best repair it. Here are some before and after pictures:
Ladder Latch-Before.JPG
Ladder Latch-Before.JPG (63.48 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Ladder Latch-After.JPG
Ladder Latch-After.JPG (57.46 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
I thought about some sort of heat shrink, then decided to try Liquid Flex Seal. The pint can was the perfect size for dipping. The only issue I had is that I think the Flex Seal is probably too thick. Maybe good for a solid base coat, but it was so viscous, that it dried a little wrinkled and large 'dripping' places. I found that it was pretty easy to sand down to something close to smooth again, and applied a top coat by brushing on a mixture thinned with 2 parts Flex Seal and one part mineral spirits. I only did one side, just in case this process doesn't wear well or last long.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
wolfe10

Re: Ladder Latch Coating

Post by wolfe10 »

Gary,

Excellent-- thanks for the write-up.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
TBOT422

Re: Ladder Latch Coating

Post by TBOT422 »

The Admiral is considering brushing some of the thinned solution on cracked insulation on the life lines. Maybe I can get a royalty? :D
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)