Fuel System - Problem Solved

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ccvalentino

Fuel System - Problem Solved

Post by ccvalentino »

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum — rather than ask a question, I wanted to post a fix solution. I got here from reading brought the forum below and some prior experience.

On Sunday I was headed out for an afternoon of sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. Just out side of the entrance channel of the marina, my engine cut out on me. First a sputter, a little rev then in RPM, and then came nothing.

I did a few checks on the water and then decided to call for a tow.

Got the boat back to the dock and it would start for a moment and then die. I advanced the throttle in neutral and then the engine would turn over. That was followed by a really rough running and basically an in ability to get the engine into fwd or reverse.

I left everything for the night and then returned this morning and with a clear head started to trouble shoot. First stop was the Racor. I drained the bowl and then opened the T-handle to check the filter. Both looked good - the fuel and the filter.

I then filled the bowl with fuel by touching the positive lead of the lift pump. It filled but the lift pump sounded a little off/weak.

I went and opened the bleed screw, prior to the high pressure pump and had a significant amount of air coming out. I bled out the air, the best I could but something didn’t seem right. Went to start the engine and had a similar experience.

I went off and did a few other things and then returned to the engine. I started to work from the racor. Low and below I discovered that the hose clamp on the lift pump side was completely lose. The hose was essentially just holding onto the barb. I noticed a small amount of fuel on the hose.

I tightened down the hose clamp and then ran the fuel lift pump. Low and behold the lift pump sounded “normal”/stronger. I then went back up, turned the key, and the engine started right up!

The fuel line from the Racor to the lift pump is fairly indented from years of tightening that hose clamp down. I’m going to either shorten up the line a little or just replace the line and use some new hose clamps (might double up - with one on top of each other).

I ran the engine for about an hour in fwd and reverse at the dock and all seems well.

Any suggestions on anything different I should be doing or a better way to attach the fuel line from the Racor to the lift pump, are greatly appreciated.

Chris

“Dreams of Blue”
Hull No 176
KenKrawford

Re: Fuel System - Problem Solved

Post by KenKrawford »

Chris - welcome to the forum and thanks for your contribution.

Interesting story and underscores the need to systematically examine a problem to find a cause. I don't think doubling up with stacked hose clamps would be a good idea. You're just trying to compress something that is relatively incompressible. Your idea of replacing the old hose clamp and freshening up the end of the fuel hose should do it.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
ccvalentino

Re: Fuel System - Problem Solved

Post by ccvalentino »

Thank you.

I think I lost the washer under my bleed screw, in the process of checking for air in the fuel system.

Is there anything special about the Westeberke/Universal part or will any copper washer that fits the screw size be sufficient?

Chris