installing a 12v accessory outlet at the helm

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Captain Kirk

installing a 12v accessory outlet at the helm

Post by Captain Kirk »

I installed an outlet at the helm but not sure where to get the 12 volts from. There is of course 12v inside the panel but it seems it's associated with the ignition system so I didn't want to pull it from there. I dont want it to interfere with anything connectioned to the lift pump, oil pressure sensor etc.

Has anyone installed one and where did you power it from?

I could run a new wire from the DC panel and install a new breaker there. That's probabbly the best way to go, but I'm hoping for an easier solution.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
BillBerner

Re: installing a 12v accessory outlet at the helm

Post by BillBerner »

I installed one last season just so I could use a handheld spot light easily from the helm and car USB Charger for my iPad that I use as a backup chart plotter.
I don’t recall if I took it right off the feed to the key switch or from my instruments circuit.
Load is low enough that either would be fine, especially as mine is only used from time to time.

Bill Berner
Stamford, CT
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
scott.monroe

Post by scott.monroe »

If you want to keep it simple the conductor feeding the "B" on the back of the key switch is hot when the battery switch below deck is turned on, there is a 20 amp breaker on the engine protecting the circuit (see engine wire diagram, highlighted wire harness going to pedestal). In my boat the engine wiring harness comes up through the pedestal and junctions with the engine panel via a plastic screw terminal block (see pic of terminal strip as viewed through compass access). You can tap into the power through the strip. Make sure you over-current (fuse) the conductor feeding your DC accessory with a amp rating for the accessory. Also don't forget the ground. The ground will also be part of the bundle coming up through the pedestal and should be black. Use a volt meter to confirm the Red "B" wire and the ground give 12 volts when only the battery switch is on.

While you have the pedestal open its a good time to inspect the screw terminal block where the wires connect with the engine harness. I found most of the conductors heavily corroded as they were exposed to the air in the block. Corroded wires or loose screw terminals can produce ghosts with electrical equipment. I ultimately replaced this terminal strip with a screw terminal strip from Blue Sea.

With all this said, this depends on turning the battery switch on each time you want to use the accessory. If you want it independent and controlled through the main DC panel you will need to run a separate fused conductor from the panel to the accessory. You can still ground the accessory through the main engine harness feeding the pedestal.
Attachments
Pedestal Wiring view.jpg
Pedestal Wiring view.jpg (116.94 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
M35B Engine wiring.jpg
M35B Engine wiring.jpg (141.27 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Thanks Bill and Scott for the great input, I've got a clear path now to completing this little project

I plan to use the outlet to charge my iPad and phones all of which back up the chart plotter using the Navionics app. The accessory outlet has a 5A in-line fuse included in the package and i expect that will provide the protection needed.

Scott I will be happy with the power running threw the motor battery switch. I usually turn that switch OFF in the evening and ON when we get underway again.

I will let you know how it goes.

Fantanstic help from this forum once again !!!
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA