Deck hatch screen hinges

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Deck hatch screen hinges

Post by SeaBreeze »

The plastic hinges that clip to the metal frame of the deck hatch screens are loosing their grip. Frequently when I want to open a hatch the screen hinges loose their grip when I lower the screen to access the hatch handles. Has anyone encountered this and did you find a good solution? I’ve considered glue and small self tapping screws but I’m reluctant to risk ruining a screen frame or hinge.
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Tampa Bay
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
belladonna

Re: Deck hatch screen hinges

Post by belladonna »

Hello Rick - I had the same problem with several of the hinges so much so that the screens would actually "fall-out" of the hinges. My solution was to drill thru the plastic hinge into the aluminum frame (with the screen in place) and insert one aluminum sheet metal screw into each hinge. That idea worked so well that I ended up doing the same for ALL of the screens. Once in a while I have to wiggle the screen to get it aligned to go back in place but that's rare and a small price to pay to be able to open the screens, open or close the hatches and push the screens back up. I would definitely do it again if I had to. Best regards, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
SeaBreeze

Re: Deck hatch screen hinges

Post by SeaBreeze »

Thanks Jim. I’ll tey the aluminum sheet metal screws
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze