Prop replacement

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

sv.divine.grace

Prop replacement

Post by sv.divine.grace »

Hi All,

My C350 had a Variprofile VP-64 3-blade prop which was installed by a previous owner. This prop is worn and needs to be removed and rebuilt if possible. I am thinking about replacing the variprofile prop with the original fixed 3-blade. I have been reading some posts regarding cavitation issues on some of the early 350's which Catalina supposedly resolved by switching to the M-Series props.

My C350 is hull #307. When did Catalina switch to the new prop and did it fix the cavitation problem? Please advise.

Regards,

Alan Bray
Divine Grace #307
Wisail

Re: Prop replacement

Post by Wisail »

Alan,

Cost aside, switching to a max prop on “Donna Marie” (#489) was my best improvement.
With the fixed prop, prop walk in reverse was pronounced.
Even with a burst of throttle and then neutral backing starboard in my marina’s tight fairway was sketchy. Reverse power increased with negligible walk.
The weight of the prop being more aft may shorten the bearing life and (minimal) prop maintenance will be needed. I don’t see going back to a fixed.
I have the original fixed sitting in my spares bin, though I doubt it will see service again.
Jeff Jones
dedgell

Post by dedgell »

I switched from the 3-blade factory prop on hull #442 to a VariProfile.

I can say that cavitation was not a problem with the factory 3-blade.

That said, the VariProfile is a HUGE improvement in every way. Speed under power is better. Speed and performance under sail, expecially in lighter winds, is much better. Reverse thrust is improved, and prop walk is minimal.

My suggestion is to have the VariProfile repaired or replaced rather than going back. I know the cost may seem hard to justify, but I don’t think you will be happy with the factory prop after experiencing the feathering style.

David Edgell
s/v Blue Wing
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Alan, I have Hull 351 and definitely experienced cavitation with the original factory prop. I made the switch to the M series and haven’t noticed any since. I have noticed some fine pitting on the tips of the blades which may suggest that I’m still having some cavitation but I don’t notice it when under power.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Capt. Nini

Post by Capt. Nini »

I just replaced my fixed prop with a EWOL feathering prop. I have not splashed the boat as it is under going hurricane repairs. I will post results when I put her in the water.

It is made of a stainless steel alloy with adjustments of .025 degrees vs 2.0-2.5 degrees in other adjustable props.

Under water prop removal takes 5 minutes and has a self puller. Pitch changes require removing one screw and turn of the adjustment ring all in 2 minutes.
I really think it is worth a look.

www.ewoltech.it
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Randy,

Which prop (part number) did you go with?

Looking forward to results.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi folks,

I have previously mentioned my very positive experience with a KIWI prop. I have had this one for about 10 years. The pitch can be adjusted by a hex screw for each blade and is infinite in amount. It can be adjusted underwater. It came from the factory set at 27 degrees as I recall and was adjusted in two stages to about 26 degrees as it was overpitched and caused the engine to overheat when running at high revs. Maintenance is minimal - on each liftout it must be lubricated at 5 points - otherwise the blades do not flip over quickly when changed to reverse ("been there, done that"). But the big advantage is that the blades can be easily replaced if damaged as happened to us when we hit a small submerged small log: a regular hazard here in the Pacific Northwest. The last time I checked the cost of a new KIWI prop was about half of a Max Prop and the blades could be installed without a liftout.

I also carefully measured boat speed when it was new and think it added about .33 of a knot when sailing compared the M design Fixed Prop from the factory. It has significant port side prop wash when in reverse which is very helpful when docking.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Geoff.

C350 # 392, Taeko 1V, Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
sv.divine.grace

Post by sv.divine.grace »

Thanks to all for your responses.

After further consideration I will likely get my VP-64 repaired/serviced. Since I am only about 1 month away from splashing my boat for the winter sailing season in FL, turn around time may be an issue so I may have to make due with the fixed prop until the boat is pulled at the end of spring. That having been said I am not sure whether the fixed prop is Catalina OE or was replaced with something else.

Regards,

Alan Bray
s/v Divine Grace (#307)
Capt. Nini

Post by Capt. Nini »

Re: EWOL Prop

I failed to mention a few facts about the EWOL Prop that others have asked about.

1. I have a 16” wheel with factory set theoretical best pitch.
2. The brass bushings are easily replaceable and ordered on line.
3.The cost was 2450 euros shipped direct.
4. The prop can be shipped painted or sandblasted for paint adhesion.
5.Sergio Maroni is extremely helpful and his US phone number is 410-317-8104
6. WEB site is ewol tech.it
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

How do you know if my 350 has the M series prop? It is hull # 368. Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Jim you should be fine. The first post in this forum is a sticky discussing prop cavitation written by Gerry Douglas. He says "Catalina has started installing the new Michigan Wheel "M" series Sailor props on hull number 400 and higher as standard."
"
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
tedseward

Post by tedseward »

I have hull #375 and it came with the original 3 blade prop. I was unhappy with performance...couldn't cruise over 6 kts at 2500 rpm. When ad for M prop appeared I ordered one. Performance was also unsat on my boat, same lack of cruising speed. I bought a FLEXOFOLD 3 blade prop at the boat show several years and have been very happy with performance. I can cruise at 6.5 knots using 2400 rpm (no engine overheating or black smoke). Under sail about .5 kts more with decent wind. Backing performance equal or better than M prop.

s/v New Horizons
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Hello Ken - I first read that article by Gerry Douglass which lead me to ask my question. Gerry article states that the M prop was used on hull numbers 400 and after. My hull # is 368 so I must have the original prop as it is a 15/9RH.
Has anyone switched to a PYI Max Prop feathering propeller; if so how do you like it?
Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

I believe several owners have commented previously in this thread about the max prop. My experience has been very positive. I purchased their EZ model last season to replace the M series fixed.
I wasn’t happy with PYI suggested pitch from the factory as I sail on the Great Lakes. Boat speed was a bit low initially. I could have dove on it to change the pitch but instead did a quick 10 minute haul to change two screws.
Prop walk is less, primarily in reverse. Reverse power and control is great. Under sail it is nice not to have the prop turning in neutral or adding resistance if left in gear. I haven’t quantified improvement is sailing speed. But this is because I haven’t bothered, not because there isn’t one.
While I can’t speak to long term maintenance, regular grease should be all that is needed.
It was a bit tricky installing the “tunnel” nut as it was very tight on the shaft threading.
Cost aside it has been great.
Jeff
Ken Rollins

Post by Ken Rollins »

Jim,
I have had a Max prop on my 350 #393 since I purchased it in 2006. It works very well,cruise at 6 knots at 2400 with no headwind, and great reverse.
The one drawback is repair, it is very expensive. I used a standard prop while my
max prop was being repaired and my speed under power was just as good but I lost at least .5 knots at 12 knots of wind.

Ken Rollins
CKARMAIV
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Jim -

Max-Prop on Guinevere since 2012.

Very pleased with the performance. We comfortably do 7 kts SOG at 2700 rpm (~85% of max rpm). The first few times I checked the engine shaft during sailing just to make sure it wasn't turning (i.e. the prop had feathered) but there were never any issues. I make sure that it has grease every year but it probably doesn't need it that often. Well made and works great!

Bob
Guinevere
hperros

Post by hperros »

I have read with great interest all the posts on this topic. I have the original 15x9 and it does cavitate in strong chop. As far as I can tell from the posts, the reported alternatives are: the M wheel 14x10 recommended by Catalina, and a re-picted original prop to 15x11. I was wondering if anybody else has experimented with different fixed prop sizes.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Yes, there has been a lot posted about the issue with the prop making noise at higher RPM and the boat not going into chop well with the original prop. The original prop was called a "sailor" prop by the manufacturer. It's blades were not as wide as a normal prop. About 3/4" more narrow. This is the problem. Too little prop for too much boat. You need wider blades on the prop. The one Catalina suggests works well. It's got a good pitch, and wide blades. I've been running on it now for years as have other C350 owners and this pretty much solves the issues you mention.

PS. I was the guy that did the test of props for Catalina when we were looking for the right prop.

Bill
s/v TRIUMPH
lazy dog

Post by lazy dog »

We had bad cavitation in choppy water with the original prop. After reading posts at this site we bought a folding prop. The theory is that the original prop and shaft put the blades extremely close to the shaft log creating a lack of water flow on the blades as they passed behind the shaft log resulting in cavitation. The folding prop sets the blades further back. As others have reported the folding prop cured our cavitation issue even in heavy seas. It also cuts drag under sail that is suposed to give you an extra .5 knots . I have no way to test that. For us it also made the boat a little faster under power. The big suprise for us was that after we put the folding prop on the boat backed up straight. Before we had a lot of prop walk. Why it goes straight is a mystery to me. The down side of course is the folding prop was expensive, $2100.00. I'm sure the M prop recmended by Triumph is a lot less money.
hperros

Post by hperros »

I talked to a C350 owner this morning, and he told me that he changed the pitch of his M 14x10 to 12 and later on to 13. He said he was very happy with the 14x13. Bill, in your experience, is it worth changing the pitch?

Also, I was wondering if there is anybody who would be interested in selling his/her spare M 14x10.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331