Parasitic battery drain

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

sargentef

Parasitic battery drain

Post by sargentef »

Has anyone experienced a profound drain on battery # 2?
I know that our bilge pump is on battery#1, we have no problem with batt #1
If we leave the boat for more than 5 days, battery #2 will drawn down to 25%.
We always turn off the battery switch and engine switch when we leave.

What can we try to find this parasite?

Erik & Sharon
Hull# 309 2005
wolfe10

Re: Parasitic battery drain

Post by wolfe10 »

Since you are experiencing a rapid discharge with the battery switches OFF, I suspect one of two things:

1. Battery is bad. Fully charge it and then have it LOAD TESTED.
2. There is something connected either at the battery or at the disconnect switch that is powering something. So, look at both locations for a second wire. Remove the wire and see with at "doesn't work".

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Erik
Brett is probably right. If you have Nigel Calder’s book he has other tests you can make. If you have access to a clamp on dc ammeter you can chack for energized loads or leak. If you have a helper and a dc volt meter have your helper check battery voltage as you crank the engine although a load tester is the better way to test as Brett mentions. Just guessing, but places like NAPA or Auto Zone may have a load tester to loan or if battery can be taken to them they can test in their store. This may be difficult to do with out help if the battery is heavy of course.
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
sargentef

Post by sargentef »

Rick & Brett,
Thanks guys. I will be going to the boat today to trouble shoot this problem.

1- Batteries were new and I have a Honda generator that I use every time I visit boat.
Removed alternator and had it bench tested-good.
2- I have Calder's book. Wow...I don't have that much time to perform all those tests.
3- Will do engine load test.
4-I will trace out battery #2 switch for any additional wiring.

Erik & Sharon
Hull# 309 2005
sargentef

Post by sargentef »

It has been I awhile since I have reviewed this post. I found the parasite, we have the a Polyplaner/radio/cd player. The unit has a second power input for the memory that is not switched, I just removed the fuse and problem fixed.

It is amazing how much energy that feature used and all the exasperation it caused.

Erik & Sharon
Hull# 309 2005

PS I neglected to say that we live on a mooring, so any unexplained energy usage is researched!