Diesel Heat Options

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Pgtjs

Diesel Heat Options

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi folks,

Has anyone added a Diesel Cabin Heating system? We are planning on going up to Alaska next summer and all the "yachties" I know who have preceded us say don't go without a heat system. It solves the cold nights problem and also the damp problem if we run into endless fogs which has happened in August some years in the past. We live in NW Washington State - we are down to 40F at night now so perhaps it will also let us use the boat here for longer each year as it is quite cool already. The water is usually about 48F-54F all year except for El Nino years.

I am interested in what brands and in the installation issues. My guess is that one would set it up in the rear starboard lazarette near the water heater and run the ducting down that side including outlets in the main saloon and front cabin locker, The only difficult area to get past is the fridge unit so far as I can see.

Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff. S. C350 # 392, Taeko 1V, Semiahmoo WA
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
sv.divine.grace

Re: Diesel Heat Options

Post by sv.divine.grace »

Hi,

Our boat has a diesel cabin heater but it was already installed at the time we bought the boat. I cannot remember the brand name. Here is some info you may find helpful:
- heater is installed in the aft starboard lazerette and the exhaust is ported out the hull on the starboard quarter
- the vents are run up the starboard side along the electrical chase where the hull and deck meet
- the vents are located in the aft cabin and in the galley on the aft bulkhead above the freezer.
- note that the blower will add to your electrical power consumption

Regards,

Alan
s/v Divine Grace
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Richard Jenkins asked me to post the following response for him:

Geoff, I had a Mikuni warm air heater fitted to Nancy Scott (C350-439) on delivery in 2007 and it has served well. The layout is much as you surmise with the ducting going forward just under deck level on the starboard side through to the main cabin outlet at the base of the hanging cupboard and then into the forecabin at this lower level. The third outlet is at the feet end of the double berth aft. It has worked well for the whole time and extends our season nicely in the English Channel.

I have also just fitted the latest version of the Mikuni into my sea/river cruiser here on the French River Soane (south of Dijon) using the kit the dealer supplied. It was much more affordable and available than the Webasto/Eberspacher and other options. The details of their offerings are on the website http://www.mikuniheating.com and googling mikuni heaters marine gives more sites and examples. I could not get the heaters here in France and brought the kit across from the UK so I'm not sure what the availability is for you in the States. I remember when we were buying Nancy Scott from the factory in Largo and asked for heating they kept saying "don't you mean aircon" as heating was not a factory option and had to be added in the UK!

Hope this helps, Richard
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

We purchased Sand Dollar, 2003 C350 this spring. We keep the boat in Point Roberts WA and cruise the San Juan Islands, Gulf Islands and points north like Desolation Sd etc. The boat was quite well equipped by the previous original owner, including a Webasto TSL-17 Hydronic heating system. This system heats a water/glycol solution and pumps it around the boat in a 3/4" high temp hose. Fan assisted radiators are located in the aft cabin, galley, main cabin, head and forward cabin. The system works extremely well. There is no air ducting routed around the boat except from the local radiators to the warm air outlets. Its has been great in the shoulder seasons this year, keeps the boat toasty warm, is quiet and seems efficient fuel wise.

In addition the system can make domestic hot water when laying at anchor which we mostly do. No need to run the engine to make hot water for dish washing, showers etc. This is a great feature. I understand the previous owner paid approximately $8000. to purchase and have the system installed.... so its not cheap but we love it.

Captain Kirk
C350
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi all,

Thanks to those who replied to my query on this topic. I would like to get in touch with Kirk and Leah McCullough - "Capt Kirk" - of SV Sand Dollar. They have indicated their C 350 is kept at Point Roberts, WA. Mine is nearby at Semiahmoo WA. My tel number is 360-371-3374. I went to the Vancouver Boat Show yesterday to check out the options and have decided to go the same route as the McCulloughs - Ie a Webasto TSL 17 system. So I would much appreciate if I could take a look at your system as soon as convenient. My email address is pgtjs@hotmail.com

Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff .Stevenson C 350 - #392, Taeko 1V.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hello Geoff

I was just wondering how your Webasto installation went and if you are satisfied with it. I recall when you came aboard Sand Dollar to look at our installation you had some questions/concerns about how to get it to heat the domestic hot water. We have another season behind us now and have more experience with it. We still love it but find it takes a long time to get a full tank of hot water when only using the Webasto to heat it.
11 gallons is a lot of water to heat.

You also mentioned you are a member of the Gulf Yacht Club which we have been considering joining.

Was trying to send a private message, but cant get it to work from my iPad.

Cheers
Kirk
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi Kirk,

Firstly I would be very pleased to sponsor you into the Gulf Yacht Club. You might like to try out the group by coming to the May cruise weekend at Thetis Island (Telegraph Hbr Marina). it is always on the May Victoria Day weekend and I think it has been there for at least 30 years. As we get closer to that date you might let me know if you wish to join us as my guest. Normally the Club books 800' (or so) of dock space and more if need be. Otherwise it is difficult to get space for that weekend.

Second, I went ahead and had a Wesbasco system installed. Placed the burner in the same location as yours and three outlets, one where yours is in the aft cabin, one under the settee in the saloon and one double outlet split into the head and the front cabin. The line (loop) goes down the port side. Each outlet has it's own fan switch. I connected the loop it to the water heater but disconnected the engine heat line at the same time so now the hot water tank is heated only from the Webasco unit. If I had wanted both connected, there is a very expensive heat exchanger to be added and i did not think it would be necessary. Total cost as it is was nearly $9k including tax.

I have used the system several times during the summer/fall and it worked well. Typically when I leave the dock here at Semiahmoo, the HW Tank has been heated by shore power at least overnight and such carries over until the next morning for at least a quick warm shower. Now when I anchor, I turn on the Wesbasco unit and "touch up" the hot water with the other outlet fans all switched off. I have heated up the hot water after a couple of days at anchor and it gets to be "warm enough" in about 2-3 hours. The engine option took about the same. One key issue is the battery capacity under such circumstances - running the Wesbasco seems to take about 4-5 amps per hour much like the Fridge. I plan to add solar panels shortly so that I can still use the Webasco for a couple of days an anchor before starting the engine.

Hope this helps - please feel free to call at 360-8203115 but email at pgtjs@hotmail.com is preferred. Again thanks for your help in this project.

Geoff. Taeko 1V C350, #392, Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the quick reply.
Sounds like you have nice setup on the Webasto installation, we find ours plays a big part in our comfort aboard particularly in the spring and fall. In the summer while we don't need cabin heat we also find its a better way to make domestic hot water than is using the engine. But we do have the heat exchanger so sometimes we use both the Wabasto and the engine heat together to make hot water since we need to top up the golf cart batteries too. We are also planning to install 2 x 100 Watt solar panels to help with the charging needs. The need for power kind of symbiotic in that when weather is cool and we need to heat the boat, when the fridge current draw is lower. And in the warm summer days we obviously don't need to run the Webasto for cabin heat but the fridge draws much more. We find we need about 80-90 Amp/hours per day on average. Perhaps less than owners down in the sun belt.

I like the idea of being able to switch each fan separately and this is something we can add to our sytem.

I'll respond to your private email on the yacht club item.

Thanks again.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA