Accumulator Tanks

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KevinMc

Accumulator Tanks

Post by KevinMc »

We are heading to the Bahamas this winter and I am considering replacing the fresh water pump before we leave. It's original to the boat (13 years) and I will have one unhappy Admiral if it fails on this trip.

Looking at the replacement, I'm considering adding a separate inline strainer and accumulator tank. Shurflo has an accumulator tank for $50 and it sounds like it would cut down on the pump cycling and even out the water pressure.

Has anyone made the addition of an accumulator tank on their 350? And if so, how did the install go?
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
russp

Re: Accumulator Tanks

Post by russp »

Hi Kevin,

Before you go to trouble of fitting accumulator check out the Jabsco SensorMax VSD. It is varialble speed and as smooth as silk and you have to strain to hear it running. Also, is just a straight swap over for the original pump (but I think I had to install it upside down compared to recommended install to do that).

Even if someone runs the pump at night you wouldn't hear it unless you were concentrating on noise.

Good luck with decision.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

I am sorry Russ, but I could not help myself when I read your post. Of course you had to install it "upside down". Consider where your boat is compared to where Kevin's is likely to be!!

BTW: see your email about next year.

Bruce
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
RFBaker167

Post by RFBaker167 »

Hi,
Just replaced my original Shurflo and Strainer with Shurflo AquaKing II with 55psi and newer strainer design. Our problem was caused by organic material clogging the strainer, but I decided to replace the original pump. The AKII is a little more quiet, but having a well-water system at home, an accumulator makes perfect sense to reduce duty cycle of pump. The draw-back is that pressure will vary more, which might not be desirable for shower.
Bob Baker
Catalina 350 #167