Autohelm "Drive Stopped"

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

Autohelm "Drive Stopped"

Post by elk »

My autopilot has ceased to function. Checked the rudder angle sensor which checked good. Haven't yet checked the power to the clutch and motor of the linear drive, but when I engage the pilot I can hear the motor in the drive and while watching the drive ram there is no movement. Same with pressing -+10. Since I can hear the motor, I'll assume it's getting power, but I'll check it while I'm checking the clutch power.
Has anyone actually had a linear drive go bad? If mine is kaput I plan on taking it apart to see if it's user serviceable. I did see one YouTube vid when a guy took his apart and put it back together, doesn't seem too daunting.
I do hope it's the drive and not the computer, which I hear are quite pricey. I'm assuming we have the series 1 linear drive in our boats, which makes sense ,based on the weight.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Will let you know how it turns out.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
RFBaker167

Re: Autohelm "Drive Stopped"

Post by RFBaker167 »

Ed,
We just bought Hull 167. My Surveyor recommended installing a Rudder Stop to prevent the RAM from reaching the end of it's mechanical travel and putting pressure on the RAM seals. I haven't climbed down to get a closer look yet. Not sure, but if the RAM is leaking it should be obvious.
Regards,
Bob Baker
Cat350-Free Energy
elk

Re: Autohelm "Drive Stopped"

Post by elk »

RFBaker167 wrote:Ed,
We just bought Hull 167. My Surveyor recommended installing a Rudder Stop to prevent the RAM from reaching the end of it's mechanical travel and putting pressure on the RAM seals. I haven't climbed down to get a closer look yet. Not sure, but if the RAM is leaking it should be obvious.
Regards,
Bob Baker
Cat350-Free Energy
Thanks for the suggestion. My drive is not hydraulic, strictly mechanical.

I found the problem to be a broken wire between the course computer and the clutch. So even though I could hear the drive motor working, the clutch wasn't engaging, so no arm movement.

Fixed the break and all is well. :D
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA