Anti- siphon kit

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

calgon

Anti- siphon kit

Post by calgon »

Does hull number 277 require both anti-siphon hoses to be installed. I was under the impression it did not, but I received both from Catalina.
Tim April IV

Should be able to eye-ball it

Post by Tim April IV »

You should be able to take a look at your PSS and see if it has a "nipple" coming off it attached to a hose. If not, they want you to install the kit. If you have the nipple and hose, then they sent you the kit by mistake.

I believe that all hulls after about #204 had the "nipple" and hose - "high speed" water injected PSS.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Allsail

Retrofit

Post by Allsail »

Both anti-siphon retrofit kits need installed. The only exception being if u did not install the high speed PSS upgrade on an earlier hull number. Then u would obviously not need a siphon break for the shaft seal. At least that is how i understand it.
calgon

Post by calgon »

Thank you for the reply. I am engine deficient so am nervous about this and all the different opinions I have read.
tom

Hull 277

Post by tom »

Hi from Hull # 278 - ""Whisper II based in Sydney Australia - where ru ? I have been advised by my dealer that I only need one part of the upgrade, not the PSS, but the engine anti-siphon kit which has just arrived in Australia.
calgon

Post by calgon »

I am in Gulf Breeze,Fl. on the Gulf of Mexico. I am going to try the install this weekend, but I have been sailing the boat for a year with no problems.
Hans Grasman

PSS anti siphon kit installation

Post by Hans Grasman »

Just want to add one point before you install the kit.
When placing the board under the stairs in the companionway make sure that you install it at least 1 3/4 inch from the aft cabin wall or you will have a problem opening your engine cover under the stairs.
Talking from experience. It is not a big deal but I can not fully open the cover to the engine which made it a little difficult to work on the replacement of the fuel filer bracket which broke on my engine. Westerbeke is sending out replacement brackets to all owners.
Hans
Belcourt #165
Triumph

Allsail and Hans are right

Post by Triumph »

Allsail and Hans are correct. You should install both anti syphon hoses per the instructions. And Hans is right about the engine lid not opening if you don't "center" the installation a little.
Lulu

Re: Anti- siphon kit

Post by Lulu »

as a relative new owner of a 350 how can you tell if the kit(s) are installed. I tried to find diagrams etc but looks like the old links are broken.
Hull 154
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

If you have the water injected PSS shaft seal with anti-siphon, your PSS should look like this -
pss.jpeg
pss.jpeg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
The anti-siphon valve is located under the companionway steps just abive the engine access. There is a teak board hiding the valve and hoses. There may be other configurations but that's how mine was installed on hull # 351.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Thanks Ken. I have both installed apparently. I have noticed that the valve under the companion way steps is squeaky when the engine is running. Have you heard that on yours ?
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Lulu wrote:Thanks Ken. I have both installed apparently. I have noticed that the valve under the companion way steps is squeaky when the engine is running. Have you heard that on yours ?
I'm not sure I'd call it squeaky but the anti-siphon valve does make a noise. Mine's done it since day 1 so I assume it's normal.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

I have found that removing and cleaning the air admittance valve (top of "U") often helps with the noise. Minerals can be deposited in the valve.

Brett
2004 Catalina 350
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Ok great advice. I will try cleaning it.
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida