What is this pump in my raw water intake hose?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SkuffedKeel

What is this pump in my raw water intake hose?

Post by SkuffedKeel »

Hello!

Can anyone tell me what this pump is that's connected to my raw water intake for the head? It's wired up but I'm pretty sure it's not doing anything because when I'm touching it and press the switch to flush I don't feel anything.
Attachments
IMG_2570.jpeg
IMG_2570.jpeg (212.4 KiB) Viewed 549 times
"Senja"
C350 # 137
Nanaimo, BC
KenKrawford

Re: What is this pump in my raw water intake hose?

Post by KenKrawford »

A couple of thoughts come to mind. Does your commode use fresh water or sea water for flushing? If fresh water then maybe the previous owner used the raw water head intake thru hull as a source for a washdown pump. If you don't have a washdown pump the only other scenario I can think of is that some marine heads (Ratitan Sea Elegance) can have a dedicated pump when using sea water to flush.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
SkuffedKeel

Post by SkuffedKeel »

My current commode is a Jabsco with an electric macerator pump that uses sea water for flushing. I have yet to figure out what the stock system was when the boat was new, I'm pretty certain this is not it.

I do have a washdown pump but it's not tied to this system at all, it's up in the anchor locker and completely standalone, I drop a hose overboard for water intake when I need to use it.

Whatever this device is it's directly inline between the raw water sea cock and the commode itself.
"Senja"
C350 # 137
Nanaimo, BC
russp

Post by russp »

Maybe I am getting senile, but this looks like a solenoid valve to me, not a pump??
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
SkuffedKeel

Post by SkuffedKeel »

You could very well be right, this is not my area of expertise. Any idea what the need for a solenoid valve for a commode would be?
"Senja"
C350 # 137
Nanaimo, BC
russp

Post by russp »

Only guessing as may be non-standard. Safety valve so raw water only “live” when head is turned on, or maybe part of a pump n/pump out timing cycle.

I still have the Newport original head, no valves anywhere.

Regards
Russ Peel
Avalon #150