Elevated moisture readings during survey

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

WillK

Elevated moisture readings during survey

Post by WillK »

Hello all and Happy Holidays.
I am hoping to get a little advice pertaining to a pre-purchase survey I just had on a 350 that is generally in fantastic shape. The surveyor found elevated moisture readings around the base of the mast (port 46%, STBD 50%) and between the aft most chain plate and the Genoa track on both sides (Port 99%, STBD 57%). There were no signs of delamination from the percussion test. Does anyone know if there is anything internal at these locations that may cause elevated moisture readings, well, other than moisture that is. He checked the same location around the mast inside the cabin and did not get elevated readings which to me suggests that it is not an internal plate and is more likely moisture. The boat has been a FL boat it’s entire life so I am thinking that it could be wet without delaminating at this point but as soon as I move the boat north and it goes through a few freeze/thaw cycles delaminating could manifest.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
nybor

Re: Elevated moisture readings during survey

Post by nybor »

Hi. I guess I am the first one to say, "Yeah, so what else is new?" Mine HAD the same issues and I think others the same. The chain plate simply needs some silicon sealant to stop that and ditto around the mast base. I did it several years ago and no issues to date.

ps. I LOVE my 350. I sometimes kinda look at other boats on line or mags... (being VERY careful not to let her (my boat) know that I am looking) and always keep coming back to her. I wish Catalina had continued to make this exact model.... Oh well

dave
NYBOR #411 (Robyn spelled backwards)