WooHoo! Just saw my first 350 in person

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

WillK

WooHoo! Just saw my first 350 in person

Post by WillK »

Hello all,
Yesterday was the day I finally got to compare the 36 and the 350 in person and the winner was clearly the 350 for us. She confirmed all our hopes and beliefs about the model. The 350 is definitely the right boat for us. We absolutely loved the layout and space. Every time we sat down, either in the cabin or the cockpit, we found ourselves immediately relaxed and just having nice conversation with the broker we were with. It was awesome. As a 6'3" guy, I comfortably fit in both the forward and aft cabin. We didn't get to take her out of the slip but I have confidence that the model won't disappoint, I have never been on a Catalina that did. But of course, you all know this already.

Now the search begins for the right boat. Hopefully she exists. We are looking for a single owner (two owner boat at most) that was cared for like part of the family. What I discovered this weekend was that I really want a traditional main but not at the expense of boat condition. If anyone has or knows of a boat like this that is going on the market please reach out to me. As it is November, I am not in a rush but I also don't want to be boatless come the heart of the sailing season. I am located in the mid-atlantic region. Ideally the right boat is somewhere from north NJ to the bottom of the Chesapeake but the longer it takes to find I'm sure the larger my search area will be.
wolfe10

Re: WooHoo! Just saw my first 350 in person

Post by wolfe10 »

WillK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:22 am What I discovered this weekend was that I really want a traditional main but not at the expense of boat condition.
Ya, a mixed bag on that one.

Our 350 is the first sailboat we have had with furling main. All 8 of our sailboats previous to the 350 over the last 50 years had traditional mains.

Like you, I was skeptical of a furling main.

Conclusion from many many miles with the Catalina 350-- If racing (and no few seconds per mile handicap for furling main) indeed the traditional main is preferred.

But, (make that a BIG BUT) for anything but racing (i.e. either day sailing or cruising) the ease of using the furling main means it is much more likely to be used and takes a lot less effort. And, forget about climbing up to remove/install the sail cover.

Our racing days are behind us-- the furling main WINS for us.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
johnthejetpilot

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Hello Will! Our lovingly cared for 2004 C350 Ave Maria is currently listed with Sailplace/YachtWorld in Kenosha. Feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to answer any questions about her. We are only parting with her as the Admiral found a C385 we like.

She is a fantastic boat in excellent condition.
John McFadden

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2004-c ... 0-8978679/
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

As you found out, the 350 is a nice boat. Having owned ours for the last several years there's really nothing we would change or hope for on a different boat.

I'm with you concerning the traditional main. We specifically looked for that when we bought ours and found it, but the majority of the 350's out there have furling mains. I totally understand why people like them, but our experience with one we chartered during our search convinced me I wanted a traditional main. The only thing I didn't consider was the height of the boom. At 5'8" I need a step stool to put the cover on. Not a big deal, though. I've often thought it might be a good idea to put a couple of mast steps on to make it easier but haven't. I doubt you will have this issue at your height. The Dutchman system on ours works well for controlling the sail when dropped. I like it better than the lazy jacks we had on our previous boats.

Considering the single owner thing, I wouldn't get to hung up on that. It's more about the quality of care they gave it and the improvements they did. Sometimes having multiple owners can be a good thing if each owner upgraded systems they thought were important to do when they bought the boat. You rarely get that money back when selling, so their loss is your gain. As these boats age, things like new sails, repairs and upgrades to the engine drive system will save you a bunch of money in repairs.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.