350 wing keel weight

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Triumph

350 wing keel weight

Post by Triumph »

A few of us with wing keels have come up with the question of the weight of our boats. There are at least two published weights, one is the same as the fin keel weight, the other shows a 1,000 lb difference the wing being more. Which is correct, or did the difference only occur in the Mark II?
What is the weight of the orginal C350 wing keel?

Bill Triumph
Pgtjs

Re: 350 wing keel weight

Post by Pgtjs »

HI there,

The literature that came with my C350 - with the wing keel option in 2006, says the keel is 1000 lbs heavier. I have never had the boat weighed and as it is loaded up with gear and tanks partially filled at most times, don't have a clue how to now determine the correct base figure now. Perhaps Catalina could advise on this? I also have a Yanmar 3YM 30 engine which was a "hidden" option at the time - one had to ask specifically for it.

Cheers, Geoff. Stevenson, C350, #392, Taeko 1V, Semiahmoo, Blaine WA
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Jwerkjr

Post by Jwerkjr »

Hi Geoff - I just purchased a 350 with a brand new Yanmar 3YM30AE and I feel like the boat may be underpowered. On my 11 hr trip motoring home in calm seas I only managed about 5-5.2 knots at 3000 rpm. I know the prop is a three blade but don’t know the pitch. Do you feel your boat is adequately powered and can you tell me what prop you’re running.

Thanks!

Joe Werkmeister
Joe Werkmeister
Hull # 141
Medford NY
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Joe,

Very likely you are underpropped. You are well over a knot slower than you should be.

Pretty easy to tell.

With engine warmed up, while moving (need to be moving so cavitation at WOT doesn't mislead you) go to WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

If engine quickly goes to governed redline, you are under propped.

Ideal is for WOT in gear, clean bottom for engine to go to around 150 RPM below governed RPM.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Jwerkjr

Post by Jwerkjr »

Thanks Brett - I’ll give that a try!
Joe Werkmeister
Hull # 141
Medford NY