Cockpit Table Top Lid Repair -Lid Material?

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

Cockpit Table Top Lid Repair -Lid Material?

Post by tranquil »

The grayish-black plastic flip up lid on the top of the cockpit table broke into 2 peices vertically from the finger hole to open the lid down to the bottom. The broken piece is smaller and vertically shaped. Anyone know what the lid is made of/type of Plexiglass it is for related repair adhesive? Seems that there are different types that require different adhesives:

Acrylic (PMMA) Plexiglass Substrates

Methacrylate adhesives are the preferred option for bonding acrylic (PMMA) plexiglass substrates. They provide excellent adhesion and strength, as well as a clear bond line. Cyanoacrylate adhesives can also bond acrylic substrates, but they may not be as strong as methacrylates.

Polycarbonate (PC) Plexiglass Substrates

Epoxy adhesives are the most compatible with polycarbonate (PC) plexiglass substrates. Cyanoacrylate and methacrylate adhesives may bond polycarbonate substrates, but they are not as reliable as epoxies.

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Plexiglass Substrates

UV-curing adhesives are ideal for bonding polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plexiglass substrates. They provide excellent adhesion and a clear bond line, but they must be cured under UV light.

Thanks
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
Wisail

Re: Cockpit Table Top Lid Repair -Lid Material?

Post by Wisail »

I don’t know if Catalina Direct has this part but “Donna Marie” has a teak door. With a routed edge to fit into recess.
It has proved plenty sturdy and has a nice look.
tranquil

Re: Cockpit Table Top Lid Repair -Lid Material?

Post by tranquil »

Thanks. I am guessing its pretty. I am one who really appreciates that the C350's have almost no teak :) I decided to purchase Loctite Epoxy Five Minute Instant Mix 0.47-Fluid Ounce Syringe, HC1060027 (1365868) and will see how it goes. Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com