cockpit shower

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Captain Kirk

cockpit shower

Post by Captain Kirk »

Last year I ordered a new shower hose and wand for the cockpit.

Trying to install it today and found the shower hose connection to the H/C mixer assembly was a problem. The threads on the plastic male connector on the mixer were stripped and the PO had jury rigged a connection. I'm looking to replace the mixer valve assembly to get this sorted our properly. Catalina direct say they can no longer get this item or the complete shower package ( plastic box, knobs wand etc)

Has anyone replaced their shower or components of it? There is unit that Amazon carries called USAMADE Stowaway Shower. Not sure if that one fits as a direct replacement. I'm looking further into that one.

Any input is very welcome, thanks
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
LI_Sound_Cat

Re: cockpit shower

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Kirk,
I have spent far too much time and money trying to solve the same problem - unfortunately unsuccessfully. Please let me know what you find. I am actually thinking about trying block off the hot water feed and turn it into a fresh water hose.

Thanks
Dan
Dan
“Glandore”
Monty

Post by Monty »

I was able to find the exact replacement from a dealer winter of 2021. When I return home I will try to find my records and should be able to share it. Give me a couple of days.
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Monty

Post by Monty »

The cockpit shower is by SSI plastics... customformplastics.com. It's called a Stowaway Compact Shower. The unit's number is SSI4860000. I found SSI had sold or was dealing through ReplacementBoatParts.com. I dealt with an Evan Love at 813-541-4454. I replaced the whole unit due to sun damage and a cracked cover. In the process I replaced the stiff rubber hose with a long flexible s/s hose to allow me to stand up and shower. Evan was helpful in getting me credit for the new rubber hose. Their website has the replacement unit as well as the mixing valve assembly. web address is https://www.replacementboatparts.com/tr ... spx?page=2 . The replacement unit is not inexpensive but then nothing is now. Hope this helps. Steve
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Steve et al.

Thanks for your input. I had looked at their site a few days ago and was getting excited. When I looked more closely, the complete unit they have uses a bigger box than mine; its wider by approx. 2". I did not see the mixer valve assembly but will contact Mr. Love. I could make my cutout wider as an option to use the complete unit.

My boat is a 2003 and apparently the unit I have was discontinued in 2004. If you got an exact replacement from them, you probably have the newer model.

Definitely this is good source to use and I'm hopeful now I can get something that will solve my problem. Thanks again!
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Monty

Post by Monty »

I am a 2007 so they may have changed....it fits nicely in the side of the opening to step out to the swim platform. Evan was a big help to me so hopefully he can get you what you need. I checked the website, and my mixing valve was there...your's may be different given the size difference. Good luck.
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Steve

I did contact Replacement Parts again and was told they just got more stock on the SSi unit that fits my cut-out. I ordered it right away, they may never get anymore of these.

So thanks very much for your input!

If anybody else is considering changing their older unit, they have them on their website now at about $200.00 which is a very good price relative to other types I've looked at. It comes with a 10 foot hose (plastic) and shower wand. I may do a change-out with a metal armored hose which is much more flexible and nicer to use; no kinks, it slides in and out and stores more easily.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Kirk,
Do you happen to have the exact part number you ordered?
Thanks
Dan
Dan
“Glandore”
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Dan,

The unit I ordered is:

SSI - Stow Away Compact Shower, - p/n SSI48600000

It shipped next day. Its on their website and they emphasize that the units they have will not last long. $219.00.

Cheers
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
russp

Post by russp »

Curious, does that mean they don't have many left and selling fast, or what they are selling "doesn't last long"??
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Wow! They're pretty proud of that shower faucet. I did something like this with ours after I bought the boat and found out the previous owner didn't winterize the cockpit shower properly and the faucet cracked. I can't find the exact one I bought at the time, but this kit should work if it's 4".

https://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-transom ... 110&sr=8-9
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.