Transmission Fluid Level - 16oz, or 18.56oz ?

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ElizabethG

Transmission Fluid Level - 16oz, or 18.56oz ?

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Gang,

Like most of you, my transmission is a Hurth ZF-15MA, HBW 150A.

The amount of ATF (Dextron II or III) is in question. I've seen it listed as 16oz (1/2 quart) and 0.58 quart (18.56oz) in various documents. Which is correct?

I changed the fluid this past week by pumping out the ATF from the dipstick hole and then adding fresh ATF. I don't know about you guys, but due to the color of the dipstick and the color of the ATF, it's hard to see what the level is on the dipstick.

So, on my next visit, I plan to drain the ATF from the drain plug on the bottom. I've read on the forum that a 17mm crow's-foot open-ended-wrench will work.

Once drained, I'll replace the crush washer and refill.

But is it 16oz, or 18.56oz? I don't want to overfill, or under-fill...

Thanks,

Bill
Atlanta, GA (Home) / Charleston, SC (Boat)
wolfe10

Re: Transmission Fluid Level - 16oz, or 18.56oz ?

Post by wolfe10 »

I have always used the dipstick, as it is unlikely that you will pump out every last drop of the old fluid. So, fill volume will change somewhat depending on what remains.

Agree, it is hard to see on the dipstick.

Run your finger down the dipstick until it gets wet to tell the level OR use a strong light to look at it.

BTW, a good idea to change the transmission fluid at every engine oil change interval.
Last edited by wolfe10 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hey Brett,

Here's something I think I'm going to try...

On Amazon, for about $6, I can purchase a clear, rigid, plastic pipe about 6" long with a 0.2" ID and a 0.23 OD.

Near the top of the tube, I'm going to glue on a washer. This washer will act like the dipstick top bolt where you just lay the dipstick on top of the fill hole to properly measure the ATF.

I'll then measure, on the dipstick, from the bottom of the bolt to the "fill" indent line near the bottom of the dipstick. I'll then take that measurement and apply it to the clear, plastic tube.

To measure the ATF level, I'll simply lower the plastic tube into the fill hole until the washer rests on top of the fill hole. Then, I simply put my finger over the top of the plastic tube, to hold the fluid in the tube and pull it out. When the level matches the "fill" indent level marked on the plastic tube, I'm good to go.

This will allow me to clearly see the ATF level versus trying to read it off the dipstick which I find almost impossible with new fluid.

Bill
Atlanta, GA (Home) / Charleston, SC (Boat)
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

My approach is to wipe the dipstick clean, then wipe with a bit of acetone to remove any traces of transmission fluid. I then securely tape a matchstick size piece of wood to the blade of the dipstick and check the level. Once I've got the level correct I remove the tape and wood. It only takes a few seconds to do and make reading the dipstick easy.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Ken,

Brilliant!

Bill
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I pull the dipstick out, hole it sideways, and lay a single sheet of toilet paper on it. It shows where the liquid level stops.

Bill on TRIUMPH

Other ideas for the cruising sailor can been seen here. www.thebookofsail.com
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

Agree with Bill, I just use Kleenex or even paper towel. I like the toilet paper idea.