Life raft storage

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Dave DeSalvo

Life raft storage

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Hello all,

I am adding a life raft for a cruise to Bermuda this coming spring. Trying to figure best placement for it and valise vs hard case. Have considered mounting it, somehow, under my Garhauer davits as the dinghy will be on the foredeck. Any ideas?

Dave DeSalvo
Ventosa
Baltimore Harbor
dedgell

Re: Life raft storage

Post by dedgell »

Dave,

I have sailed as crew aboard three different well prepared off shore boats (all Island Packets). I’ve done four trips from Chesapeake to Bermuda, and also a trip from Chesapeake to Halifax. In addition, I did a Delmarva circumnavigation on our own C350 with a life raft aboard for the off shore leg.

In all cases the life raft was in a soft case and stored in the top of the cockpit lazarette. It was the absolute top item, nothing stored on it, with the handles facing up ready to grab. In the event of an emergency one crew was assigned to pull the life raft out of the lazarette, tie the painter, and prepare it for deployment. Fortunately we never needed it. I think this location is as good as any for the life raft.

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend the Safety at Sea course they hold in Annapolis around March every year. The course includes an option for in the water life raft training in one of the Naval Academy pools. You get to see a life raft inflate, get in the water with your life vest and have it inflate, then practice getting in and out of the life raft and turning it over from a capsized position. I hope to never experience that in an emergency, but the practice is invaluable.

As for your other questions: I have some Dacron lee cloths that I bought from Defender, pre-made. I don’t think they still sell them. I suggest trying a sail loft or canvas maker. To mount them I installed stainless eyes at the base of the seats, through bolted with hardwood backing blocks. The lee cloths were laced in place using nylon line between the stainless eyes and the handrails in the ceiling.

I’m very interested in how else you are preparing your C350 for Bermuda, and how your trip goes. Keep us updated.

David Edgell
C350 #442
s.v Blue Wing
Dave DeSalvo

Re: Life raft storage

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Thanks very much for your insight. Coming from someone with your experience it is about a relevant as it can be.

I will check out the course you mentioned I may take a couple of Boaters University on line courses as well. Can't be too prepared.

I will check out my canvas guy about the lee cloths.

Dave