VHF antenna replacement

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

LI_Sound_Cat

VHF antenna replacement

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Has anyone replaced their VHF antenna whip? My antenna snapped off and I’ve ordered a replacement whip from Catalina Direct. Sent my son up the mast this AM and he could not see how/where the whip screwed in. He wasn’t able to get pictures, so checking if anyone has done this previously and has any tips? Thanks!
Dan
“Glandore”
wolfe10

Re: VHF antenna replacement

Post by wolfe10 »

What brand/model is the antenna.

Catalina does not make them-- it will be a common marine VHF antenna.

Once you know the brand/model, should be easy to determine who it is attached.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Unfortunately I am not sure the manufacturer. Was hoping it might be standard across the 350s.
Dan
“Glandore”
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

I was able to get the unit down from the top of the mast. It looks like the part may be discontinued- but guessing it must be a fairly standard part. I called Metz but haven’t heard back. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I can’t seem to upload the picture. But the unit is a Metz 519802.
Dan
“Glandore”
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

D3AAA4F3-8C25-440C-ABA6-D23CF8C4D7FC.jpeg
D3AAA4F3-8C25-440C-ABA6-D23CF8C4D7FC.jpeg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Dan
“Glandore”
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Dan,

Metz is a VERY common brand of marine antenna. Should be able to get a replacement whip at any West Marine or other marine store.
Last edited by wolfe10 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

The plot thickens — this is actually a AM/FM antenna. Just off the phone with Metz (great service). The giveaway is the gold plated connection to the antenna whip and the long(er) antenna whip - which I found broken off on the side of the deck a while back. The VHF antenna is 34” and has a nickel plated connection. So it may be a coincidence that I noticed poor VHF performance after I found the broken whip? Now I am thinking maybe my radio has gone bad…I was planning on getting a replacement and testing. Otherwise not sure what the issue is.
Dan
“Glandore”
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Dan, do you have any reason to suspect this could have been due to a lightning strike? If so then the core of the antenna base might be fried. Consider buying a new antenna mast plus the complete unit. Take both up the mast with you replacing only the mast first. Have someone below conduct a radio check and decide if the problem is fixed or replace the entire unit if not and return the unneeded component.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

I don’t have have any reason to think it was a lightening strike - but certainly could have been. The VHF antenna still looks fine - I had thought the one that broke off was the VHF but turned out to be AM/FM antenna. My VHF signal is very poor - my portable handhold actually gets better reception. So, I am thinking the actual VHF (Icom M422) might have gone bad.
Dan
“Glandore”
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

I recommend scraping the old Mertz and going with new Shakespeare 5215 antenna. This will fit into the existing bracket. I ran new coax and all new connectors. Even with a split at the bottom of the mast and again at the nav station to add a Em-Trak B923 AIS, we still have excellent VHF reception. As you say your VHF radio may be in need of replacement but at least you'll have the antenna off the list of possibilities for many years to come.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Thanks Bob - good advice, much appreciated.
Dan
“Glandore”
stevewitt1

Post by stevewitt1 »

If the antenna looks fine that doesn't necessarily rule out a lightning strike.

Try disconnecting the coax from the VHF and while the top is off check the center wire and shield with an ohm meter to make sure there is no short.

'
The preference would be to replace the coax with a good quality RG8 coax. Most boats were wired with that white "low loss RG58" which in my humble opinion is junk for the distance used on my sailboat. My boat will be rewired with RG8 for the VHF and RG6 for my TV antenna if they aren't already and I doubt they are. If you upgrade your coax make sure you do it from the radio and tv all the way to the mast base as well as in the mast.

Good Luck
Steve
Oconto Yacht Club on The Green Bay
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

I totally agree with Steve regarding using only the RG8X coax such as Ancor Marine Grade Coax Cable ANC 151550 and quality Shakespeare connectors.
Im a big fan of AIS and mentioned the one I installed previously but I did add the Em-Trak AIS external antenna. This I mounted on top of the aft cabin cabinet to port so that it is close to the underside of the deck. The little white toad stool added significantly to the range. Something like 38%
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC