Galley Seacock

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

NormSail350

Galley Seacock

Post by NormSail350 »

Hi everyone,

I have just noticed a leak in the handle of my galley sink seacock. I ordered the o-rings and gaskets from Catalina Direct as follows:

Seacock Emergency Repair Kit 1-1/2" And 2" (#Z5108): 2
Item Total: $11.90

It should probably just be the o-rings, but thought I would replace all the gaskets while in there.

I also purchased a couple of soft plugs (foam?). I have plenty of wooden plugs just in case. I see some old threads on the topic, but wanted to throw out a new thread - has anyone changed the o-rings and gaskets while the boat is in the water? Any advice? Any one done this in the water?

Seems like it should be straighforward - albiet scary. Called Catalina Direct and Catalina Yachts today for tech support, but but its Monday and only got voice mail.

NormSail350 (2003)
Miami
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)
KenKrawford

Re: Galley Seacock

Post by KenKrawford »

From the Forespar web site -
All MARELON® integrated valves have a removable plug
in the handle (white cap with loop). This plug is made to fit
into the external thru-hull (non-screened style only). In an
emergency, this plug can be placed in the thru-hull (water
pressure will keep it in) and the valve disassembled while
the boat is in the water. Someone must get wet, but the
boat does not need to be hauled for valve repairs. By tying
a lanyard to the cap, you need only get wet once.
I assume this is the only safe way to repair the thru hull while in the water.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
NormSail350

Post by NormSail350 »

Thanks for the reply Ken. My seasick does not have the little plug that seems to accompany the newer versions of the same. I see some videos using that plug, but just don’t have it on, what I assume to be the original seacock that came with the boat in 2003.

I am trying to reach forespar tech support to talk about the plug, to confirm I have the right seals (I ordered from Catalina Direct) and also get some diagrams/advice on the process before I open a hole in the boat.

I am also calling Catalina Direct tech support too, but no luck in speaking to a human yet. The Catalina o-rings and seals for the seacock do not reference Forespar. Warren Xandy sent an email confirming that the original seacock was a forespar. No markings on my seacock.

Obviously, would like to be double sure that I have the right o-rings and gaskets before opening up! Getting that little plug would be great too!
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)
NormSail350

Post by NormSail350 »

Thanks for the reply Ken. My seacock does not have the little plug that seems to accompany the newer versions of the same. I see some videos using that plug, but just don’t have it on, what I assume to be the original seacock that came with the boat in 2003.

I am trying to reach Forespar tech support to talk about the plug, to confirm I have the right seals (I ordered from Catalina Direct) and also get some diagrams/advice on the process before I open a hole in the boat.

I am also calling Catalina Direct tech support too, but no luck in speaking to a human yet. The Catalina o-rings and seals for the seacock do not reference Forespar. Warren Pandy sent an email confirming that the original seacock was a Forespar. No markings on my seacock.

Obviously, would like to be double sure that I have the right o-rings and gaskets before opening up! Getting that little plug would be great too!
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)
NormSail350

Post by NormSail350 »

Spelling auto correct is not my friend today…. And I have fat thumbs typing on my little phone!
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)