New/used jib?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

New/used jib?

Post by elk »

My 16+ year old jib finally split along the whole seam at the UV protection. It's happened before and has been repaired several times. I'm thinking now would be a good time to start looking for a new one. I'm looking for recommendations for sailmakers or suppliers that are reasonably priced and are reputable. Please let me know any recommendations, new or used.

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
jackpaley1

Re: New/used jib?

Post by jackpaley1 »

After 14 years the roller furling main on NONE YET AGAIN is "bagged " and in need of replacement. The roller furling Genoa is also in need of replacement.
Our boat is #478 year 2008.
I would like any recommendations for a new set of sails. Catalina specifications are for a 135 Genoa, I have a 150. Any thoughts on size or vendor would be appreciated. Home port is Charlestown, MA.
jackpaley1

Post by jackpaley1 »

Did you buy new sails ??
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,

I had similar issues about 6 years ago - mine is # 392. I had the "local" Doyle Sail loft make a new headsail and recut/replace the all weather clew panel on the end of the furling main and generally "restore" the sail. Both are still looking good. I use the main a lot but not so much the headsail. I also had Doyle make me a genaker a couple of years before but never used it - the better half dropped off the perch about then and I could not unfurl it safely on my own and steer the boat so I sold it. Doyle was very competitive price wise and delivered a good quality product IMHO.

Cheers, Geoff. Taeko 1V, C350- #392, Semiahmoo, WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Recommend Vermont Sailing Partners in Winooski, Vt. He's made 2 sets of custom sails for us, one for a Seaward 25 and another set for our 350. Can't say enough good about this loft. Everything is designed, cut and sewn in house. Great quality and perfect fit.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.