SOSpenders-Inflatable PFD's

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

SOSpenders-Inflatable PFD's

Post by tranquil »

Recently heard a presentation on how to maintain inflatable PFD's. Bought my SOSpenders in the early 90's when only one vendor was around. SOS went out of business long ago after a recall. Am unable to identify the cartridge - most are no longer available anyway.

What brands are the best inflatable PFDs these days-what do you use? Want something easy to maintain and just replace the cartridge when needed. Sailing on Lake Michigan and assuming need the "offshore" version. West Marine has their own brand and am reticent as replacement parts could be expensive.

Any experiences and insight is appreciated.

Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
hperros

Re: SOSpenders-Inflatable PFD's

Post by hperros »

Terri
I have the westmarine sospenders. I don’t know if they are the same as your sospenders. I got them early 2000. The cartridge has 3/8 threads with 38 grams of CO2. The replacement cartridge I have is called ‘rearming kit 38RP-1’ I can’t remember where I got them from. The replacement cartridge is slightly longer, but it should fit in the pouch.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thank you very much Harry!
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

West Marine, like a lot of retailers, re-brand items they buy from major manufacturers. Recharge kits are available by manufacturer based on auto vs manual and size of Co2 charge. Got my recharge kit for a west marine vest at defender marine.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thanks Mark! Appreciate the reply. Decided to buy brand new inflatable PFD's and extra recharging kit :)

Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
TEM58

Post by TEM58 »

I’m using the mustang h.i.t. And have been pleased with them. Fortunately they are untested by me😁
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Boat currently Punta Gorda, FL