Is aft hull too thick for inside hull transducer?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

svcherokeelullaby

Is aft hull too thick for inside hull transducer?

Post by svcherokeelullaby »

I have a 2003 that is new to me and would like to add a backup sonar transducer (Garmin) that shoots through the hull. The specs on the transducer state that it cannot shoot through a hull thicker than 5/8 inch.

1. Does anyone know the hull thickness under the aft cabin? I am considering placing the transducer beneath the floor area immediately to port of the engine housing.

2. Has anyone successfully installed an inside hull transducer in that area? If so, please provide relevant details.

I look forward to your input regarding this matter.
Bob_A

Re: Is aft hull too thick for inside hull transducer?

Post by Bob_A »

Short answer no.
I researched this too. Spoke to Garmen, spoke to the best marine electric / electronics firms the the Pacific BC area. No one supported the notion that on our boats the transducer that would shoot through the hull rather than a thu hull transducer would work well.
I did an extensive Garmen nav equipment upgrade and wanted to utilize the mid chip sonar. I installed a Garmen B150M Chirp 12 degree directly under the lower drawer at the end on the V berth. I cut out a neat access opening in the bottom of the cabinet and added a panel beneath the drawer. Easy to check on if required.
This has given us the coloured sonar which we split (combo) screen on the 12" touch screen chart plotter plus it has provided us with an additional sounder which is set to read underside of keel (read on the chart plotter) I keep the ST60 depth instrument reading depth to waterline. We love our new Garmen equipment.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC