Hook race - Racine-Menominee

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

johnthejetpilot

Hook race - Racine-Menominee

Post by johnthejetpilot »

For anyone interested in following, I’m sailing up lake Mi in The Hook Race this weekend. New Evolution autopilot rocks for this solo racer!

http://kws.kattack.com/GEPlayer/GMPosDi ... eedID=1919

John McFadden
Ave Maria
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
jbd3

Re: Hook race - Racine-Menominee

Post by jbd3 »

Did you start OK? Looks like you're in a slip at Racine when most of the fleet is east of the Door Peninsula. I hope it wasn't too major of an issue..
johnthejetpilot

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Thx for asking. Winds on nose so racking battle against racers was not working in my favor. After all the prep, it just wasn’t meant to be for me this year. I sailed 43nm in 9.5 hours and only travelled 17nm from Racine on a 189nm race that has to be finished in 56hrs. The math didn’t work, unless wind had shifed to due east at 15-20 and stayed that way for 30+ hrs. scratched 10.5hrs in and will try it again next year. Or try solo Mac..

I feel somewhat justified in decision. 5 entries in hook shorthanded division. 3solo..none finished (including me). Kookaburro made it across finish line with 11mins to spare.

John
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

As they say, discretion is the better part of valor. Better luck next time and thanks for posting the link to the live feed. It looked like a long slog up the lake.