Long distance solo racing thoughts

When you have a great day sailing or when a cruise experience turns out to have been fun, exciting, or significant in some other way, then TELL US about it! Post pictures if you have 'em.

Moderator: KenKrawford

johnthejetpilot

Long distance solo racing thoughts

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Hello all. Can't thank everyone enough for the outstanding input on this forum. Recently completed a race across Lake MI w/100+ other boats. Had a blast and although I did not place very well (last in shorthanded), if I had entered the "PHRF crewed class" I would have actually been 2nd in class in Queens Cup against some go-fast racing J boats and Tartans. Finished 81/89 overall. Found (as others have) that, though the C350 will not set many speed records, our boat can be fairly competitive racing if lightened up (removed heavier cruising gear, eg outboard on stern mount and zodiac packed in starboard locker, and emptied the forward water tank and left w/50% fuel level). Never did use code zero due to wind direction and averaged nearly 6.4kts for first 4 hours of the 13:40 journey.. top speed was 7.5. Highest I've ever seen on Ave Maria when surfing downhill in 15-20kts was 8.6kts (no current) SOG.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for future long distance solo races on the C350, I'd be very grateful (other than to bring beer :D ). I have considered adding a lee cloth setup for starboard main cabin setee but haven't pulled the trigger. Based on wx forecast I may throw the zodiac in locker for next 4 day race and lash to foredeck if conditions dictate.

Also if anyone has replaced the autopilot with the Raymarine Evolution series, can you give me any feedback? Current Autopilot is the one that came with boat (Raymarine) in 2004 and tends to wander a bit (+/- 15degrees) when winds blow more than 10kts, on virtually all points of sail.

Currently signed up for SuperHook race (Racine, WI to Menominee, MI on GRB and back) on July 16. Praying for good wx and winds.

John McFadden
Ave Maria
#212 2004

ps Atttached is a pix of all safety gear aboard that I use for solo races. I consider each item essential (especially at night). I rarely have to leave cockpit for foredeck. Not pictured: backup waterproof VHF, SPOT Gps tracker, and Ocean Signal PLB1 rescueME strapped to lifejacket
Attachments
IMG_7320 (1).jpeg
IMG_7320 (1).jpeg (66.59 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
Flagmanmike

Re: Long distance solo racing thoughts

Post by Flagmanmike »

Hi John, I upgraded from the ST-60 to the Evolution and i70 about 3 years ago. It was night and day difference. The Evolution is a 9 axis sensor and keeps course very well. The only week point I've found is the iTC5 which converts the old instruments to the NEMA 2000 system. It died during warrantee and was replaced. So I bought a spare to have on board. But I love it.

Mike Cronin
FlagShip #314
johnthejetpilot

Thx Mike. I’ll look into the i70. I like idea of integrated single display but not sure it’s worth the $1200-1400 + labor added expense. Did u do install yerself? Thx for feedback.

John
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
Flagmanmike

Post by Flagmanmike »

Hi John Yes, I did the install myself. Raymarine gave great support when I hit a roadblock, I called a few times with no pushback. NOTE: I got a large coupon from Raymarine for the system at the boat show in Newport Ri, don't remember the value, but it was significant and tipped the scales to buy. I ended up with two i70 multi displays, and one autopilot display, The second i70 came free from my suppler, so it is a spare and a second screen and the three holes from the ST-60 are filled. I used the existing the electrical/mechanical driver from the ST-60 system, no issues. One big difference, when on auto pilot, the ST-60 system made a lot of noise when changing the rudder position. With the evolution, I rarely hear it operate, it is so smooth. I love it.
Mike Cronin
FlagShip #314
johnthejetpilot

Thx for feedback. I’ll get a chance to try out for first time Tuesday and use on SuperHook (378nm race) on Saturday. I’m looking forward to using it. Now back to Lee cloth install.

J
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI