Friends Boat dismasted

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

D&M

Friends Boat dismasted

Post by D&M »

Hi all,
A friend of mine recently bought a 2001 42' production boat (type withheld to avoid that discussion). A survey from a previous time was used (two years old). The survey pointed out some of the usual errors but did not identify any show stoppers.
Upon departing Sydney for the transit north in 20 knots of wind and 1.5 to 2 meter seas, the mast came down after four and half hours. One of the stay tie-rods parted below deck and the rig went over the side in seconds. It was hurriedly cut free and sank in 40 meters of water. The vessel returned to Sydney and is awaiting its fate.
It turns out the insurance claim was refused because there was a crack in the tie-rod with corrosion evident at the point where the tie-rod goes through the cabinetry in the galley. There was no visual indication on the tie-rod in the cabin and no evidence of leaking at the chain plate. It is possible the seller cleaned it up for sale!

Here is a part of the metallugical report as arranged by the insurance company.

“A longitudinal section of the tie rod at the failure initiation site was prepared and examined using standard metallographic techniques. The structure of the tie rod revealed deformed austenite grains that was typical of a cold rolled A2-70 fastener with roll formed threads. The fractures were branched and characteristic of chloride stress corrosion cracking”
“CONCLUSION
The chain plate tie rod failed by stress corrosion cracking in a chloride environment under the influence of normal tensile loads. 80% of the fracture was corroded indicating that it was present over a long period prior to the final failure.”

Thus the insurance company had an out:
Ҥ4. Exclusions РHull and Property insurance:
This Insurance does not cover:

1. Any loss or damage directly or indirectly caused by osmosis, blistering, fibreglass or surface coat blistering, electrolysis, rust, corrosion, oxidation, rot, fungus, mould, infestation, change of temperature or humidity, gradual deterioration, delamination, marine growth or inherent vice;

Estimated cost to repair is $130k

A picture is worth a thousand words and many more $$$:
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 549 times

Morale of the story is replacing the standing rigging down to and including the bottle screws is only half the story. Check your tie rods regularly.
i have just looked at mine using my iphone camera. Here is a photo of the main tie-rod accessed from the shower compartment.
file.jpeg
file.jpeg (18.74 KiB) Viewed 551 times
I intend to take out this tie rod and rebed the chain plate next week. I am confident that it is only surface corrosion but the fact it extends down to underneath the nuts means I want to make sure.
Cheers!

PS this information is not for further dissemination, without permission.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
rvanderbes

Re: Friends Boat dismasted

Post by rvanderbes »

It's worth noting that the insurance exclusion for gradual deterioration is common to most policies. Many sailors assume they are insured for this type of catastrophic "consequential loss" and they are not. Practical Sailor wrote a good article about this some years ago:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/sailbo ... e-coverage
Read your policy closely! I upgraded my coverage after reading the PS article.