Options for taking a look at the Hull whilst in the water.

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Pgtjs

Options for taking a look at the Hull whilst in the water.

Post by Pgtjs »

HI there,

I have recently come across two local boat owners here who have found ways to look at the hull whilst in the water. One guy hooked a GoPro camera to a regular boat hook and led it back to a viewer - his partner moved the stick around as he suggested to her where he wanted to check: ie the zincs and the prop etc and a recent "gash" in the fin where he had glanced off a rock. I could clearly see the images - he had bright sun on the other side of the boat so the water was very clear. The other guy tied a mirror to a bent rod and said he checked my zinc for me and it was fine but I did not see him do it. I've known him for years and think him to be reliable and certainly he had no financial benefit in giving his observation. The water around here is too cold to dive without wet suits etc which I don't have. Has anyone any better ideas, especially as to the GoPro option? Another possible circumstance: today I pulled the plug with the little spinner on the Speedo sensor - of course it was blocked by tiny mussels after the usual winter inactivity - but it would be nice if I could easily check it more regularly.

Cheers, Geoff.S.

Taeko 1V, C350 #392, Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Mark Sutherland

Re: Options for taking a look at the Hull whilst in the water.

Post by Mark Sutherland »

With regards to checking you speed impeller, I got tired of cleaning it, so I remove mine at the end of every sail and reinstall it at the beginning of my next sail. I haven't needed to clean it for several years as it has virtually zero growth on it.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)