Bahamas Progress

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fiftybucks

Bahamas Progress

Post by Fiftybucks »

we left from no-name key biscayne and arrived in Bimini.
did the 2nd set of quick antigen tests
if someone is doing this process, please print out entire health visa including the last page with a qr code.
waited for weather for 3 days, then off to Makie Shoals and anchored... don't do this as even though calm, it was so rolley we pull up at 3am and headed for Great Harbor... we can't say enough good things about Great Harbor... they watched over us.
From there to Devil's Cay and on to Rose Island the next day. Weather held us there for 5 days then we headed on the inside towards Spanish Wells and it was awful. 3 ft at 3 sec... it was my choice but chose not wisely....
We anchored on the West side of the Cut.... Marvelous... don't believe the reports of the small anchorage on the north entrance.. we went in... way too small for any boat over 20'.. continued up to Spanish Wells...
SW is wonderful and felt like home. they had everything you need and golfcarts to get provisions and ice... get the ice at the fish market on the warf east of Pinders. 35$ slip with .45/KW shore power... cheap.. Went out the north channel towards
Abacos... Id say don't do it that way.... just go out to Royal Island and do the U turn... then quiet motor long way up to entrance just north of Liltle Harbor...
we are at Hope Town for next 2 days waiting on weather to do the Whale Cay up to Green Turtle. The devistation from the hurricane is everywhere. All docks are in ruins except for those at Hope Town and other isolated main establishments. Many of the activities we wanted to experience are gone but slowly coming back. We missed a potential buddy boat when Vendeloo crossed Whale on the 3rd... no hopes of catching them... we will plan shorter 30 mile hops back to West End and then to Lake Worth Inlet.
It is not the 'heaven' and total freedom I envisioned... the route planning and weather take much effort. nature seems to keep me just out of the useable wind... seems always on the nose. I have lots of pics but not band width. i will upload later.
thx to Brett Wolfe, he has been a comfort and resource in the most difficult times.
It is nice here, seems like a long time and I am ready to come home... Maybe Im not the cruiser I thought. I hated the ICW until facing the endless open Atlantic
Cheers Hull #380
wolfe10

Re: Bahamas Progress

Post by wolfe10 »

Yup, long distance cruising is VERY different than day sailing/weekend sailing.

Not better or worse, but certainly requires a whole additional level of skill sets.

Agree, not everyone's cup of tea.

Do what YOU enjoy! And, if you experiment with new experiences, whether on land or water, you need to look back and see if this is something you really enjoy doing.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL