How to remove Marinco 12 vlt. on pedestal?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze78

How to remove Marinco 12 vlt. on pedestal?

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

Greetings, I just realized the 12 volt Marinco receptacle on the pedestal is not working. After unscrewing the two screws holding on the faceplate and removing that. The receptacle does not pop out of the pedestal. There is a cryptic printing around the edge of the receptacle, “unlock point” with a large “V”. Tried to find a blow up at Marinco. Which part rotates? How do I unlock it? Will it fall inside the pedestal if I unlock it?
Hopefully someone has used this receptacle and knows the answers.

Thanks, Dana
SeaBreeze
SeaBreeze78

Re: How to remove Marinco 12 vlt. on pedestal?

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

Front of receptacle
Front of receptacle
552967CC-68B5-4A54-9D53-983F393B3C4A.jpeg (25.63 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

If it is not working, I would access the back of it and check the connections. Only takes 5 minutes to remove the screws holding the instrument panel (assuming that would access the back of that 12 VDC outlet).
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

Brett:

Thanks for that suggestion, I removed the instrument panel. Wires looked good. While retrieving my voltmeter, I decided to test the outside of the receptacle first, since it was easiest. Thirteen point something. So it is a good receptacle.

Played around with the cigarette lighter plugs I had used the first time. Now they work….go figure.
The real test was the white LED cockpit/anchor light on a 15’ wire that I was testing out for the first time. It did not light up. Until I was moving it and it flickered. Wait….is this supposed to have a light sensitive receptor. Oh yea, thats right is does. A very small receptor on the inside of the glass case.

So I now I have an egg on my face!

Dana

Egg
Egg
71B5FCA6-0C5D-4260-B0F8-3580381C8A5C.jpeg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

OK, 15 minutes labor and zero parts cost.

Sounds like a great "fix".
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I still have some interest in hearing how to remove this item as mine has a broken hinge/bendy bit that holds the cover. It is only a matter of time before the cover is lost. I have a replacement in white that I am going to fit at some point. So if someone has done it - please tell.

It appeared to work sporadically for many years until I realized that it was wired to the port interior light circuit. If the breaker/switch was on for interior lights (as it would be when using the socket at night for a handheld lamp when mooring/docking in the dark) all was good. In daylight I would try and use it for a GPS charger and it had me checking the plugs and fiddling with the socket thinking the charger was defective until the penny dropped.

That egg gets everywhere.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I just realised that “pedestal mounting” part of the post - this was not how it was done in 2003 - my boat has the 12v socket on the top edge/lip of the transom with the socket vertically mounted. I still need to get this old one out and I fear it may be bonded in as it is resisting being shifted.

And it is bizarrely wired into the port interior lights.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

"Mounted vertically"??? So water can get down in it.

And, wired to cabin lights suggests a "less than electrically enlightened" previous owner did this.

Unless you really like that location, find something that can serve as a cap for that hole and relocate the 12 VDC outlet to the pedestal.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Yes, mounted vertically on the lip of the transom port side and that crucial cap keeps the water out. I assumed this was something the factory did but I have only owned since 2007 so it could be in that 4 year window that someone did a funky installation. However the wire gauge, type and wiring to the port interior lights leads me to think this was from the factory. I have noticed a few other factory installed oddities over the years. I will take a picture next time I'm at the boat and post it but now I am curious to hear if others have the same fitting on early boats.

Worst case, it may be that I will have to get a panel cutting drill attachment of a slightly larger diameter to cut the fiberglass and get it out.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

cuthbert wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:56 am Worst case, it may be that I will have to get a panel cutting drill attachment of a slightly larger diameter to cut the fiberglass and get it out.
Marinco tech specs for the outlet: https://www.marinco.com/-/media/inriver ... 0227133342

Installation instructions: http://www.westernmarine.com/acrobat/SEALINKINSTALL.pdf

So, try accessing the back of the receptacle and if there is a "threaded locking ring", unscrew it.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Thanks Brett,

The problem is/was beyond the locking ring in that the socket had been sealed around the top edge with 5200. I managed to remove it with a sharp blade. I changed it for a blue seas socket since the hole was already there without any ill effect and it is convenient for inflating the dinghy. I used a silicon rubber sealant around the top edge of the new one.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Definitely a"Bubba" job to use 5200 on anything that may ever need to be removed!

Glad you got it fixed.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL