Bottom Paint for Puget sound

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

sgoldman

Bottom Paint for Puget sound

Post by sgoldman »

We will be moving our C350 "Peen Honin" to Everett, Wa. From Waukegan on Lake Michigan. Here in the Mid West we pull the boats out of the water every winter. In Washington, it appears that the boats stay in the water over the winter.

Which leads me to my question. what type of bottom paint do most sailors use on Puget Sound?

Is VC17 used in the Sound?

Steve
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.
Captain Kirk

Re: Bottom Paint for Puget sound

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Steve

I've been sailing these waters since 1994. I've always used Interlux Micron CSC. Its ablative and one good coat will stretch to two seasons, but I normally paint the bottom annually. It works just fine, others use a Pettit ablative paint. There are water based ablatives out now which makes clean up much easier.

The Micron CSC keeps the barnacles off but I do get some "green hair" just below the water line, which is easily removed with a brush. There is often a brown slime that builds up on much of the hull, it happens mostly over the warmer summer months. It will slow the boat by a .5 to 1.0 knot. So get I a diver to clean it or do a quick haul out and get a power wash, leave the boat in Travel Lift slings and re-splash.

I'm not familiar with the VC17 paint.

Cheers
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA