Head Plumbing problem

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

c350ia

Head Plumbing problem

Post by c350ia »

On my 350 which is a 2008 model hull 460, the head is plumbed via a Y valve so what one can select the flushing fluid. Either via Raw water in my case salt water or in the other position, fresh water from the forward tank.
I have attached 2 photos. The second picture is the Y valve which is located just below the holding tank. The lower white hose goes to the head inlet pump, (CORRECTION: THE LOWER WHITE HOSE IS THE SALT WATER INTAKE) the upper white hose is the salt water intake (CORRECTION THE UPPER WHITE HOSE GOES TO THE HEAD INLET PUMP) and the smaller hose to the left is the fresh water intake, which connects to the blue pipe (via a T joint that is located under the sole of the V berth Picture 1) that takes fresh water from the forward water tank to the manifold and then to the pump.

Here is the problem:
Everything works fine when I set the Y valve to flush with salt water.
When I set the Y valve to fresh water a trickle of water comes through then stops.
The forward tank is full and the flow to the manifold is normal as I get good flow through the faucets.

I suspect the thinner (fresh water intake) hose may have an internal blockage but I cannot feel or see anything.

Do other 350's have this arrangement?
If so any issues with it?

Trevor Rabie
#460 TREVI
Attachments
Under the sole of the V berth cabin
Under the sole of the V berth cabin
T joint.jpg (88.75 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Y valve below the Holding tank
Y valve below the Holding tank
Y valve.jpg (62.12 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Last edited by c350ia on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenKrawford

Re: Head Plumbing problem

Post by KenKrawford »

Trevor you didn't say if you were the original owner or not but I doubt your boat would come from the factory plumbed like that. Catalina has warned about the potential contamination dangers of tying a commode into the fresh water system. If your faucets are working normally I doubt there's a blockage in the line. Is there a check valve anywhere between the T in the fresh water line and the commode?
The Raritan Marine Elegance commode allows tying into the fresh water system but employs a check valve in the setup.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
c350ia

Post by c350ia »

Thanks for the response Ken.
No, I am not the original owner. Bought Trevi last year.
So I take it that my arrangement is not factory installed?

I am not able to visualize the entire length of the run as it goes behind bulkheads etc, but I don't see a check valve. I think I will just pull the hose out completely and look for that. If one is not present I can certainly add one.

Trevor
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

For many of us, flushing with potable water just means using the shower hose to flush. More "KISS theory". And, no chance of contamination.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
TEM58

Post by TEM58 »

Hi Trevor,
Have you opened the y valve to check for a blockage inside? Seems unlikely that a check valve would be hidden and inaccessible, so I’d start with the easier option. I agree however that the setup is prone to possible contamination without some sort of valve or solenoid. Of course the solenoid only works with electric flush. I replaced the original Wilcox-Crittenden with the same Raritan that Ken mentioned, and it has a built in solenoid valve. The original W-C did not, but had a separate solenoid installed in the freshwater line.
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Boat currently Punta Gorda, FL
c350ia

Post by c350ia »

Problem solved.
I replaced the Y valve a few weeks ago and of course I got the orientation wrong!
The LOWER white tube is the salt water INTAKE and the UPPER white tube is the inlet to the head pump.
I wasted a lot of time before that dawned on me...

There was no check valve installed, so that has now been addressed.
I am not sure if I can edit the first post...

Trevor
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

c350ia wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 pm
I am not sure if I can edit the first post...

Trevor
Yes you can. Just click on the Pencil icon above the message.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA