Lightning Protection

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ElizabethG

Lightning Protection

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi All,

I did a quick search on our forum, but didn't see this specifically addressed. However, there is a ton of info found elsewhere...

Specifically, for us C350 owners, what preventative measures do you take (if any) while underway, or at anchor, when a thunderstorm is heading your way and there is a chance of a lightning strike hitting the rigging?

Let's put aside protecting the electronics for a moment by disconnecting them, putting them in a microwave, putting them into the oven, etc.

I want to focus on lightning hitting the mast, shrouds, stays, etc. and trying to minimize the impact of that hit on the physical boat i.e., blowing holes in the boat, blowing out through hulls, etc.

A few ideas that I have seen is (1) attaching battery cables to the mast and dropping the other end into the water, (2) having the anchor dropped into the water and connecting the chain to a cable that connects to the forestay, etc.

We all know there is no perfect solution for minimizing the impact.

Any best practices that you use?

Bill
Atlanta, GA
#193 in Charleston, SC
Olivia Mae

Re: Lightning Protection

Post by Olivia Mae »

We don't do anything other than put as many of our handheld electonics into the microwave as will fit and unhook the antenna cable from the radio.
Anything short of bonding and grounding the boat to the water is unlikely to do much. The methods you mentioned are just ways to make you feel good that you tried to do something (my opinion). We sail our 350 in fresh water (Great Lakes) and even bonding and grounding the boat would likely be ineffective there. So we count on the fact that statistically there is a very low chance of a direct hit. :D

The screenshot attached is of a recent storm we were in on Lake Michigan. We're the blue dot under all the lightning. I've never seen so much lightning in one place ever. It went on for about an hour and included torrential rain and 60 mph winds. We survived unscathed, but I seriously didn't think we would at the time.
Attachments
lightning2.jpg
lightning2.jpg (161.56 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Olivia,

Thanks for the reply!

I find it to be an interesting topic. I wish I could find a "white paper" from an boating industry expert on best practices.

I've been in a few storms, but not like you described above...that's a nasty looking storm!

Bill
Atlanta
#193 in Charleston, SC
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

I see you're from Charleston. Which marina down there do you keep your 350? Our house is in Summerville. We winter down there but our 350 is in Erie, Pa, and we spend summers cruising it on the Great Lakes, and spend time in a cabin in NY when we're not on the boat. We have another boat, a trailerable Seaward 25, at our house in SC. We have not yet sailed it in Charleston, though we took it to Fl. for about 3 weeks last winter. Hoping to launch it in Charleston harbor sometime this year and do some exploring down there.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Scott & Linda,

Yes, we live in the ATL area and our C350 is ~5.5 hours away in Charleston, SC.

We purchased our boat about 5 years ago in CHS. We keep her at The City Marina which was acquired by Safe Harbor about 2 years ago.

We love the marina as it has full amenities, walking distance to shopping and restaurants in downtown CHS, fast access to the ICW and about 1.5 hours from the slip to the ocean. There are several other marinas in the area, but frankly, we are happy where we are.

Another benefit, this time of year, is that CHS is a bit of a hurricane hole. We have never had to haul her out for a hurricane.

A few other benefits is that Safe Harbor has marinas up and down the east coast. If you pay for a year for a slip, it's a bit cheaper plus you get 10 free nights at any other Safe Harbor marina during the year (subject to black out dates.) They also have discounts on fuel, ice, etc. Plus, they have a large boatyard nearby for repairs. Haul-out is free if you pay for your slip a year at a time.

If you have any questions, or would like to meet up, my cell is 678.936.3187. I'll actually be there most of this coming week.

Bill
Atlanta
#193 in CHS
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Looks like a good location. We may look you up when we're back in the area later in the fall.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.