Stress Cracks on Anchor Locker Hatch

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

digitalvillager

Stress Cracks on Anchor Locker Hatch

Post by digitalvillager »

I have two stress cracks in the top of the anchor locker hatch. Has anybody had any experience with cosmetic repair for these hair line cracks? I don't think there is a problem in the core, yet. I read the earlier posts about cracks on the underside, but we don't have a repair that involved. Looking for minor fiberglas repair advice.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
russp

Re: Stress Cracks on Anchor Locker Hatch

Post by russp »

Not sure where your cracks are, I just repaired the front face which had been chipped by the anchor and allowing water ingress so the core was rotting near the front. I removed the rotten core, filled with "flowable" fibreglass putty mix and then faired and painted just the front edge with as close a colour match to the gelcoat as I could do, but it wasn't great. Luckily you can get away with a lot at an edge.

Unfortunately while I took photos I seem to have lost them. You can remove the hatch cover by knocking out the pins from the hinges, they are knurled at one end, otherwise just 5mm SS. I "think" they knocked out easily going forward on mine.

As to stress cracks in the gelcoat, I don't have any experience at grinding out, filling, matching colour and texture of non-slip, I would be inclined to clean thoroughly, dry thoroughly, and apply Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure, and live with the slight imperfection.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Charlie I've had some spider cracks around the edge of my anchor locker ever since I bought my boat. On Lake Lanier they won't allow get coat repairs to boats in the water and Frank Butler wouldn't pay to have the boat hauled to make the repair under warranty. If the esthetics aren't too bad I like Russ's idea of using Cptn. Tolley's.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
digitalvillager

Post by digitalvillager »

Thank you both. Capt. Tolley’s sounds like the way to go. I’ll let you know how it works out.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

I too have now found sstress cracks on the tranoum of S/V Soixante. There were just a few last year. Now there are several. I don't know what's causing this because they are not in a stress area. Maybe sun damage? Any input and repair ideas would be appreciated.

S/V Soixante
Jamie