Recommended Prop for 2003 C350 Hull #124

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

CaptGeorge

Recommended Prop for 2003 C350 Hull #124

Post by CaptGeorge »

I have read many threads of discussion on this topic and just curious if I could get an agreement...lol.

Currently in final stages of negotiations on this boat and the MaxProp is shot. I will have it rebuilt at some point, but what prop would be recommended as a backup until then? Just looking for good overall performance for my $800.

New poster and member - love the C350, thanks in advance for the help!
Hull Number 124
wolfe10

Re: Recommended Prop for 2003 C350 Hull #124

Post by wolfe10 »

Welcome to the Catalina 350 owners group.

Sorry, no single answer. Had a phone call on this exact same question last month from a long time friend/fellow Catalina 350 owner.

My answer is IT DEPENDS.

If you have your engine and cooling system optimized and more critically, You are a SAVVY OPERATOR, I am comfortable with a bit of "over-propping".

Not savvy, you can harm/destroy the engine.

But if you know when you are JUST under over-fueling, over-propping will get you more boat speed under motor-- any boat, any engine.

Use your engine for in and out of port? Don't even thing about this.

Motoring hundreds or thousands of miles (our normal trip was Galveston Bay to the Abacos and back) it makes a difference.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
CaptGeorge

Post by CaptGeorge »

I appreciate the input and I can tell from all the discussions it's a widely varied topic.

The current prop is a Max 3Blade that must be rebuilt.

I would like to buy a fixed prop to move the boat around the bottom of Florida and have something that is somewhat decent for general performance. S

Since this is a 2003 am I correct that the original prop is a 15x9 (1" shaft) and Gerry Douglas was recommending a Michigan Wheel 14X10 for less cavitation. I will be closing on the boat next week, it will be hauled for bottom work and paint and I want to give the yard a prop to install.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. New here, but very excited about finally becoming a C350 Owner!!

George
Hull Number 124
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi George

My 2003 has the original prop delivered at that time. Your boat is a little younger than mine so it may have come with a different prop than mine, which is a 2 blade 15X10". I've been happy with it in general. It will cavitate a little when powering up in a "hard" manner or when punching into a short steep chop - i.e. 3-4 waves. A 2 blade prop might be economical choice for you at this point.

We cruise the local waters for about 3 months each season and put about 125 hours on the engine annually. I have priced a few different props, but so far this item hasn't made it any further up my wish list.

On my last boat a C320, I changed out the 3 blade fixed prop to a Kiwi prop which I used for over 10 years. Its quite amazing when backing down- it has a fixed pitch in reverse and really bites. It gave about 1/2 - 1 kt under sail, and about 1/2 kt motoring on the C320.
A few others on here have gone with the Kiwi.

I've been busy updating the network, adding a new Plotter, AIS, wind sensors, water heater, solar panels, dinghy, outboard motor, Rocna anchor and many other things.

Enjoy your 350!
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
russp

Post by russp »

Likewise, highly recommend the Kiwi prop, have had mine for over 4 years, rips the boat in reverse and can stop on a dime. Picked up about 0.5 kt sailing and you can fiddle with forward pitch to hit max revs at 3000 rpm if you have the patience but I cruise at 1900 and don't run over 2400 (or at least haven't had the need to!). I had the plastic blades painted with propspeed from new and they were still free from growth after the first year, and had them recoated at year 3 and beyond that the prop has just required application of grease during annual haul out. Very happy with it.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
CaptGeorge

Post by CaptGeorge »

Thanks so much for the feedback. By chance any links to the Kiwi and recommended prop size? Been a boater for 40 years but very new to inboard sailboats.
Hull Number 124
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

IMG_1513 (1).gif
IMG_1513 (1).gif (115.26 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
George

I meant to include a picture of the 2 bladed prop.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
russp

Post by russp »

This is what I fitted - nearly 10 years ago to my significant surprise! Has zero problems with it and only lifting every second year.
Kiwi year 4.jpg
Kiwi year 4.jpg (130.09 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

I have had my KIWI prop for over 10 years and noticed some added benefits of the install.
i. Because of the design of the hub of the KIWI Prop, the prop blades are further aft of the deadwood I think improving flow and efficiency.
2. The clearance from the blade tips to the hull is wider also improving flow and I think reducing noise.
3. The pitch can be adjusted in the water to "fine tune" the installation.
4. Significant reduction of mass of the prop over bronze, which IMHO reduces ware of the cutlass bearing.
Lots to think about,,,,,Please keep us posted.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi folks,

Just to add to whatever else above, I put a Kiwi prop on a C320 in 2005 - replaced a two blade from the factory - amazing difference! Hit a nearly sunk log (at sunset looking into the sun) and two blades of the Kiwi were broken off. Replaced them by a set of three with a slightly different shape. Think the three blade package cost $300 back then. Bought C350/#392 in May 2006 and had a Kiwi prop installed from new. Sold the factory MIchigan Prop and had net cost about $1000. Years before I had a Tanzer with a Max Prop - a prop shaft donut zinc failed and pinged onto one tip at 2500 rpms - took weeks to get it fixed (during the season) at PYI and including the lube service, was $400 or $600 - I cant recall. Never had any problem with the KIwis - but they must be lubed every year - one year I missed a lift out and by the end of that season could not get it to swing over to reverse - could not figure out why for awhile. They are terrific for getting into tight Marinas with the quick blade reversal and port side favourable drag. Can turn the boat on a dime. For what it's worth,

Cheers, Geoff. Taeko !V, Semiahmoo Marina, Blaine WA .
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
CaptGeorge

Post by CaptGeorge »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Had to make some quick decisions with the boat yard to meet a schedule and with parts availability I went with the Michigan Wheel M Series 14x10. I will be getting a MaxProp that was on the boat to consider rebuilding, or maybe just go to a Kiwi option at next haulout. So much is new to me and I really appreciate all the detailed input :D
Hull Number 124