belt

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

hperros

belt

Post by hperros »

The Westerbeke belt on my Universal 35B disintegrated after about 100 hours. The new one I got, same part # 30476, fits okay but it is a little shorter by about 1/2 inch. Are there two sizes ???? I can't imagine that the belt stretched.

Also, does anybody know what size auto belt I can use instead?? From previous experience on another boat and engine, they last longer.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
wolfe10

Re: belt

Post by wolfe10 »

Where is the adjustment bolt (alternator) in the slot. Said another way, can it be properly adjusted and still leave room for adjustment as the belt stretches?

The other issue (other than length) is that it properly fits in the groove.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
hperros

Post by hperros »

Yes, the bolt in the bracket has about 1/2 an inch to go further out.
Harr
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Taking your two posts:In the first you mention that the new belt is SHORTER than the old one. In your second post you say you only have an additional 1/2" of adjustment left in the alternator adjustment slot.

Conclusion: You DEFINITELY don't want a longer belt!

Again, verify the other criteria-- that the belt fits properly in the "V's", neither bottoming out in any of the pulleys nor so wide that it only contacts the upper part of the pulleys.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
hperros

Post by hperros »

Thanks, I will take a look how the belt sits in the pulley.
Harry
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
Miss Adventure

Post by Miss Adventure »

I believe the belt is a 29.5 inch xo. If you go to the westerbeke web site they show the info on the belt.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I use Gates PN 7395. But given your 2 posts I suspect you have the correct belt. When new, my adjustment is about in the middle of the slot, as it ages, adjustment slot is nearly used up. My experience is that they last about 7 years (1000 hours).
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)