Charger/Inverter

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

cuthbert

Charger/Inverter

Post by cuthbert »

The Charles 5000 died and rather than just replace it I'm thinking of going to a charger/inverter. (I am taking this to be an add on rather than electronics hence posting here).

Questions I have....

1) Has anyone found something that has the same small footprint as the Charles 5000 approx 10" by 9" to fit under the nav station table vertically on the bulkhead? (similar to the original).
2) If not the same size but larger, what charger/inverter did you choose?
3) I am assuming the next best mounting spot for a larger unit is attached to the bottom of the nav station table, but in doing so with any product chosen the screen/display will not be accessible easily, any advice?
4) It seems with some stand offs some larger products would fit in the original position as coming out an inch or two clears the curve of flooring, anyone tried this?
5) The use of modified sine wave vs sine wave, the manufacturers seem to advise a pure sine wave to operate the Samsung microwave, is this true?

My leaning at the moment is towards a Magnum MMS 1012 mounted under (as in, affixed inverted to the bottom of) the nav table. Has anyone done this or looked at it and taken another direction?
wolfe10

Re: Charger/Inverter

Post by wolfe10 »

I would certainly go with a PSW (Pure Sine Wave) inverter/smart charger particularly with many of today's sensitive electronics. Not the big price bump it use to be to go from MSW to PSW.

Inverter/chargers generate heat, so it would be better to mount such that there is some air circulation. Mounting it to the underside of the nav desk would restrict air circulation and because "heat rises" be in the warmest location under the nav area. If you do end up mounting it there, wire one or two muffin fans that could be turned on to blow cool air at the inverter/charger at higher ambient temperatures.

In terms of size/capacity of inverter, look both at your available battery power (OE was 2 4D batteries) and max load you are considering running on it. Said another way, not point in going with a 3000 watt inverter that would take down your battery bank in short order. Multiply that max load (including start up amps) by 1.2 to calculate minimum inverter capacity.

Also, pay attention to "stand by" amp draw or insure that you turn off inverter function when not actively using it.

Most modern inverter/chargers also have built in ATS's (Automatic Transfer Switches) so you can wire 120 VAC in (present breaker and wire to Charles charger MAY be adequately sized. Then wire from inverter OUT to anything you want to be able to run on the inverter or shore power. If more than one or two circuits, consider a second breaker box (called sub-panel). Most inverter/charger installation manuals go over the proper way to wire it.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Ok, so no inverter/chargers installed from forum users, or at least in the existing position.

I pretty much researched everything available as an inverter/charger with internal transfer switching that I could find on the internet and there is nothing that fits in the space that the Charles 5000 currently resides in. The limitation is that 12" height and approx 13" max width. I looked at even moving the switch panel of battery bank switch and the engine on/off switch but the opening behind and weight of cabling made it impractical. Hence I looked at just a charger replacement for now and even that is fairly limited in choice. Xantrex suck the air in at the top and blow it out the bottom and that would mean mounting horizontally to meet the 4" clearance they require. Many others were also constrained by airflow if not from a simple size/fit standpoint.
For the charger replacement I went with a Mastervolt 35A unit with temp sensor and three stages plus equalization mode it fits after enlarging the opening for cable access underneath a little and it fits vertically with just enough room to drop onto its mounting bracket. It sucks air in through the sides and out the bottom.

Trying to find an inverter that would include a transfer switch that fits in the space remaining under the switch panel (best position for DC cable path/length) is also a challenge. I want to have sufficient to run the 700W Samsung microwave via powering all the starboard outlets from the main panel, but haven't seen anything yet that fits the space remaining.
Attachments
charger.JPG
charger.JPG (82.66 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I mounted my inverter under the settee next to the battery compartment. I use 4 golf cart batteries wired into one 420 amp hour bank. The connection from the batteries to the inverter was just a short run. I ran the 120vac output wire from the inverter to the electrical panel and installed the transfer switch next to the 120vac breakers. I also cut the bus bar on the breaker panel between the second and third breakers and ran the output from the transfer switch to the top two breakers so only the outlets are powered by the inverter. This eliminates draining the batteries by forgetting that the water heater breaker was on.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Ken,

How did you handle heat dissipation from the inverter with it in that closed location?
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Brett, the inverter is literally the only thing in that locker and we don't tend to use the inverter for long periods or under heavy loads so heat has never been an issue. Just to be clear, it's not in the compartment with the batteries but the one under the dinette seat.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Understood.

And, if you were to use it long enough to build up heat, would not be hard to cut two holes in the FG and cover with grills and mount a 120 VAC muffin fan on a switch or even thermoswitch to vent that area. Inverters really don't like high temperatures.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
D&M

Post by D&M »

Old thread but new install.
I have just installed the Victron Multiplus compact 12/1600/70 inverter charger underneath the nav station to replace an inappropriate Projecta car charger installed by the PO. Plenty of room for it if you are not a person who needs to sit with both legs under the nav station. Note I haven't put any conduit around the wiring yet as I am waiting for the final AC connection to the AC bus bar, after dividing the bus bar to only provide AC from the inverter to the (240volt) power outlets.
At the same time I installed the blue tooth MPT controller connected to two flexible 200w panels on the bimini. AS well as 2 x 200amp Victron Lithium superpack (no bms required) house batteries. Note the starter battery will fit in the original battery compartment alongside one of the superpack batteries. The other is in under the settee (these are big units). Of note, you cannot start the engine off these batteries they are limited to 100amp max output at which point the BMS cuts them off. So the start battery is wired directly to the engine starter.
So far so good. Now to tackle the second fridge compressor!
Attachments
IMG_3912c.jpg
IMG_3912c.jpg (183.49 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Nice looking install David. You were smart to isolate the outlets from the rest of the system. I've spoken to a number of people who switched on their inverter at anchor and proceeded to drain their batteries because the hot water heater breaker was left on!
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Nice installation! What size charger cables did you run to the battery bank? Is it a 70A charger?

Thanks
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
D&M

Post by D&M »

Hi,
Yes it is a 70 amp charger. The battery cables came with and were connected to the unit. I think they are 1/0 or similar, (50mm sq)they are described as welding cable on the actual wire. NB in the above post I said the starter was directly connected to the starter battery. Not true it still goes through the engine on/off switch.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a