Sirius XM InstallXM Install

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

starfish

Sirius XM InstallXM Install

Post by starfish »

Hello Forum,

New owner and member here.
I am curious if anyone has installed a Sirius XM on their 350?
Where did you install the antenna and how?

Thanks
Ed
Ed Kleinstuber
s/v Starfish
C350 #333
jtptdallas

Re: Sirius XM InstallXM Install

Post by jtptdallas »

Hi guys!
We have hull#417 on Lake Texoma and our Sirius attennae is afixed to the port aft pulpit upper rail as you see in this close up. It is wired through a hole drilled into the rail and threaded into the space below the port seat locker and up behind the instrument panel at the nav station. Our boat came with it already installed however, so thats all I got gor ya!!
Jeff and Pat Thurston
Raise Me Up 417
Dallas, Texas
F7507DA3-B8F4-4717-84C3-B0A35FB55F8D.jpeg
F7507DA3-B8F4-4717-84C3-B0A35FB55F8D.jpeg (90.49 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

I have sirius weather and a dedicated antenna for that but for audio, I just set an antenna on the top shelf over the nav. table and it seems to work fine with a portable receiver.That way I can use it on the boat or in a vehicle rather than have multiple subscriptions.Easy to feed it into the stereo from there as well..
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

I installed Sirius XM radio a year ago. Used the portable unit with its docking station that I located in the shallow shelf above the breaker panel, ran the 3 wires down into the breaker panel. Power uses a car 12V cigarette lighter fitting. Audio is run to the stereo unit in the same space. The antenna was placed port side, below the outer side "window" and as far forward on the coach roof as possible, just aft of the dodger fixing points. I drilled a small hole and ran the cable through it into the breaker panel. The antenna sits over that hole with a clear view of the sky and protected from the elements.
Attachments
sirius xm internal site reduced.jpg
sirius xm internal site reduced.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
sirius xm antenne close up reduced.jpg
sirius xm antenne close up reduced.jpg (120.56 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
GRWhite

Post by GRWhite »

Ed, I have Sirius and had the antenna installed on the port aft rail. A hole was drilled at the base of the rail as you can see in the photo. I later added solar panels and ran the wiring through this hole as well. The installer used a Blue Sea Cable Clam to keep it water tight. The tape you see in the picture was just temporary fix until I could clean it up including zip ties to keep the wire tight against the vertical rail post.
The antenna is a Shakespeare connected to a Fusion 650 (Sirius ready) stereo mounted on the panel above the navigation station. It's been working great and no interference with the bimini.
Attachments
IMG_2780.jpg
IMG_2780.jpg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Kevin White
Gypsy Rose, #450
Sagamore Beach, MA
starfish

Post by starfish »

Aussie Mate wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:36 am I installed Sirius XM radio a year ago. Used the portable unit with its docking station that I located in the shallow shelf above the breaker panel, ran the 3 wires down into the breaker panel. Power uses a car 12V cigarette lighter fitting. Audio is run to the stereo unit in the same space. The antenna was placed port side, below the outer side "window" and as far forward on the coach roof as possible, just aft of the dodger fixing points. I drilled a small hole and ran the cable through it into the breaker panel. The antenna sits over that hole with a clear view of the sky and protected from the elements.
Aussie Mate, you said you ran the 3 wires down to the breaker panel? What 3 wires are you referring to? Were you able to connect the XM directly to the Poly-Planar stereo? The directions for the radio clearly state that it can be done by connecting the audio wire from the XM. Also, are you using the black indoor antenna? It looks like you have it mounted inside of the bimini? I would really rather not replace the radio with another that is XM compatible, so i am very curious as to how it was connected.

Thanks
Ed
Ed Kleinstuber
s/v Starfish
C350 #333
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

The 3 wires originated from the Sirius docking station for the Onyx unit and are:
1. black to a cigarette lighter that I have tied into the panel with plastic ties that provides the power;
2. antenna wire to the black collapsible antenna. That wire was actually run in the space between the deck and the internal ceiling and took a bit of wriggling the wire to get it through (it is a gap of about 1-2");
3. sound output red and white wire direct to the Poly-Planar Aux 2 input port. This wire was purchased separately if I remember correctly from a Sirius store online.

The antenna is black but was marketed as an outdoor antenna. Where it is is totally protected from the weather (you would notice it was next to my Vesper AIS transceiver).

Does that answer your questions?

Bruce (bruceatyachtingmasters.com replace the at with @)
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

Check out this thread and you will have some answers on installing Sirius XM into a C350

Bruce
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
starfish

Post by starfish »

Thanks Bruce, but there is no link to follow.

I send you an email with the email you noted. Thanks
Ed
Ed Kleinstuber
s/v Starfish
C350 #333
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

checking out the forum login, nothing important
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357