YouTube Channel for Projects?

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

johnthejetpilot

YouTube Channel for Projects?

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Hello fellow C350 fans. I am preparing to purchase Hull 212 in Milwaukee. I have cruised and raced Catalina's (22'-42') for over 35 years but have never owned a 350. It is obviously a somewhat different design for Catalina. In this high tech world, has anyone utilized (or would they be willing to utilize) a GoPro camera to walk thru and document various projects or onboard tasks they may undertake? I'm sure I am not the only one who is more of a visual learner and often find it easier when I can see someone demo tasks on video. I'm thinking everything from basic stuff like attaching sails when commissioning to more detailed video logs of winterization/decommissioning for the season. Lemme know what everyone thinks, as I'd be happy to set up the YouTube or Vimeo channel so others can link to it from posts.... Thanks in advance, John McF
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
Karla

Re: YouTube Channel for Projects?

Post by Karla »

I think that is a wonderful idea. Many of us are visual learners. Thanks!
Gus & Karla Olson
C350 #464
"Carpe Diem"
Venice, FL
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Agree and vote yes. But don't own a go pro
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Here's a contribution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_3lB12UMaE

Very basic. I shot still pictures with a standard Android smart phone, added them to a video via Windows Movie Maker (which leaves a lot of features to be desired, I probably will hunt for a more robust solution in the future).

I've been capturing video via cell phone on some of our sailing trips and plan to add them to YouTube videos as I have time.

Good Sailing
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
JohnForr

Post by JohnForr »

Are you open to posting you tube videos from other boats that have same parts. For example, there is a good video that shows how to replace just the crazed lens on a lewmar hatch. I think I might have found the link on one of the postings here.
John & Mary Jane Forr
Punta Gorda, Fl
Hull #007
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

John,

If you're speaking to me, I would be happy to, but the problem is getting the video to me so that I could upload it to YouTube. Typically these video files are quite large (200 Mb to 1 Gb and more), so they don't email around very well. Possibly the solution would be to create a C350 YouTube Channel where anyone could upload any video they create. We would have to have a known username and password that was accessible to everyone in the C350IA which could be an issue. An alternative might be to use something like One Drive or Drop Box, but again there is the issue of getting everyone access. Any of you real techies out there have any idea of how we could universally allow members to store large files somewhere? If we could do that, I would be happy to organize them and upload to YouTube or something similar.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)