Cockpit pad eyes

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Frank Heyniger

Cockpit pad eyes

Post by Frank Heyniger »

I will be going on a long trip this summer and have been thinking about installing two pad eyes in the cockpit. Has anyone done this , and if so, would you please let me know where you installed them.

Frank
#24 Sunsational
Tim April IV

Usage?

Post by Tim April IV »

Frank - I saw your note on the mail list and it made me wonder what purpose you had in mind for the padeyes?
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Frank Heyniger

Pad eyes

Post by Frank Heyniger »

Tim, tThe pad eyes are for tether attachment in the cockpit.
wcconway

Re: Cockpit pad eyes

Post by wcconway »

We had folding pad eyes installed on the lower port side of the companionway opening ( to tether into when coming up into the cockpit from below) and on the lower starboard side of the bench where the helmsman sits/stands.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
TBOT422

Re: Cockpit pad eyes

Post by TBOT422 »

Wally,

Do you run a jack line between the pad eyes or do you simply hook and unhook when moving to the helm?

We just purchased automatic PFDs with harnesses with plans of doing more overnight sailing next year and are interested in where people hook up the tethers and if and how they configure jack lines (which seem like a great thing to trip over) or whether they just clip on to the life lines if they have to go forward.

I had been thinking of adding a couple of pad eyes below the helm seat and clip in to the windward pad eye.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)