Slip width

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

Slip width

Post by nybor »

Ok, so finally have a slip available at Fisherman's Wharf in Venice!!!!! (that is the good news).
The possible bad news is the width of the floating dock is 14 feet. (gulp).
So, anybody have major concerns about this re: the pregnant guppy's 350 beam? I guess I could remove the rub rails and gain 3 inches of clearance....
There is a 34 MK ll next to it, but I think I read that its beam is 11.75 ft.

thanks

d
a
v
e
keeljoy

Re: Slip width

Post by keeljoy »

We have docked in a 14 foot slip for a couple of years. We manage well. Leave the rub rails, at times they help. No damage yet! Good practice and other slips are easier. Kind of an optical illusion when our 350 with 13.5 beam is in there!
russp

Post by russp »

We are between "too close" posts and have only about 2" clearance entering our dock so just (occasionally) slide in on the rub rails. We are in a canal so once in, tie off with very short lines so minimal sideways movement possible, and if you have a floating dock the beam is somewhat less down closer to the waterline? And you can tie off quite tight since the dock moves with the boat?

Just thoughts.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

Leave the rub rails! That's what they are for. We spent several years in a 14' slip and yes, it is tight but doable. I assume there is a piling that marks the "open" side of the slip, depending on wind we would at times rub a bit coming and going but usually could slide through. We also placed a roller on the corner of the floating dock which helped slide in (and out). It also depends a bit on the approach, if the fairway is also narrow (as ours was) it is a bit tricky getting the boat lined up to "slide" in the narrow slip; if you have a long approach it will be easier. One other thing we did was run a line from the piling, diagonally into the slip from the outer piling to the floating dock at the bow; this kept the bow from moving too far "out" of alignment and helped keep the boat snug up against the floating dock.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
nybor

Post by nybor »

Great responses from all. Thanks!
Yes it is a floating dock and the pilings are about 16 feet apart. But the floating piling is in the middle of the dock, hence the narrowing of it. No, the approach is narrow so I will have to be super careful.

Since I sail alone, I did something at my current marina that really helped me get into the slip. I tied a rope from one piling to the midpoint of the dock. Did the other likewise. I then tied the two together at the dock end, about a foot away from the dock. It made a "V" and was so easy to get into it, kinda like a bumper car (I bet NO one knows what that is), The bow hits the rope (taut) and self corrects (aligns) itself with the middle of the slip.

So, your idea about the diagonal line is similar to my solution as well.

thanks again

dave
Cmp1110

Post by Cmp1110 »

We currently stay in a 14 ft fixed slip it is tight but easy you just cannot go in on any angle must be square to the slip when entering